• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone making threat if I do not pay up.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RazielRay

I recently had a falling out with a friend, and he's going absolutely crazy. Over the years, he bought and gifted me a laptop, no conditions nor contracts attached. he's now claiming I owe him what he paid plus interest for the laptop, nearly $200. He is also threatening to steal my own artwork and to ruin my reputation if I do not pay up.

Just Blue

I recently had a falling out with a friend, and he's going absolutely crazy. Over the years, he bought and gifted me a laptop, no conditions nor contracts attached. he's now claiming I owe him what he paid plus interest for the laptop, nearly $200. He is also threatening to steal my own artwork and to ruin my reputation if I do not pay up.
What state.

RazielRay

What I should do. He's also threatening to sue me for fraud if I don't pay up. I've had no experience with the law whatsoever and I need to know what I should be prepared for, or if I should go after him first?

quincy

There is no defamation if there has been no falsehood communicated to another or others.

You can report threats of physical harm and you can report any theft of your artwork to the police.

I recommend you avoid all contact with him.

quincy

You could pay what is being demanded or you could return the laptop or you could wait to be sued (a lawsuit is probably unlikely based on what you have said).

And you could avoid all contact online and off.

Or you two could try to amicably resolve whatever disagreement you had that led to the posting of threats and a demand for dollars.

(text chain was reported for moderator review)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">