• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

someone tried to withdraw money from my account-scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ykjun

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi, today I just experienced the weirdest thing ever and not sure what to think of it. So I opened up a new bank account with BB&T for about a month. Today I got hit with a returned item fee so I called them to see what it was. Apparently someone tried to withdraw (i'm not sure in which way) $3K from my account but my account only has less than $2K so the transaction bounced. The strangest thing is, the person whose name is on the transaction has the same name as my dad but lives in another state! My dad's name is a foreign name and very unique. Plus my dad's name is not associated with my account in any way and i never wrote him a check or anything. I asked BB&T to give me the person's contact info. I looked the number up and apparently he is a college professor with a university webpage and everything.

so I called his number (not wise? I was just too curious) and he hung up on me and didn't give me a chance to explain. I emailed him to explain what's going on and someone from a hidden number later called back in his behalf. At first, this person asked if I needed the money and where to meet me. As I was trying to explain to him, he got furious and told him they do not know anything and stop bothering them.

So I am wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on can shed some light for me. Is this just a glitch or is it something more serious? I mean I can see if somebody got ahold of my account info and tried to steal my money but a person with an identical name as my dad?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm astonished that a banking institution would give you someone else's contact information.

adjusterjack

So I am wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on can shed some light for me. Is this just a glitch or is it something more serious? I mean I can see if somebody got ahold of my account info and tried to steal my money but a person with an identical name as my dad?
You know who did and where he is. Notify the police. Attempted theft is still a crime.

Meantime, since he has your account information, you might consider closing that account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">