• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Something odd...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO/WA

So, right now, Wild (17) and Unruly (14) and I are living in Washington (as of three days ago). We're operating under a temporary order for various reasons, and will be going to trial in January.

All three attorneys (mine, ex's, and the GAL) and the judge seem to agree among themselves that once there is a final order, Missouri will lose all jurisdiction over custody/visitation/enforcement after 6 months.

Obviously, I'm missing something. I see no reason for jurisdiction to change, and, I certainly can't believe it's automatic.

The kids are old enough that I can't imagine there will be further legal actions after the trial in January, anyway. It's just odd to me that of all the things the attorneys don't agree on, they agree on this.

So... Any ideas what I'm missing?

single317dad

This is a subject that's probably above my pay grade, but until someone comes along with a proper response for you, I'll provide this link which I found educational:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/html/ojjdp/jjbul2001_12_2/page5.html

TinkerBelleLuvr

That makes zero sense. I was flat out told that I could NOT change anything since the father remained in the originating state, particularly the child support portion. I could understand why you wouldn't want to change it. Has college ever been addressed? I'm wondering if that parental unit is thinking that he can get out of support by changing states.

And NOTHING is automatic. The originating state would have to release jurisdiction by one of the parties petitioning for it to be moved.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why is "something wicked this way comes" going through my head? No, CJane, I think if the legal eagles all agree in re jurisdiction, it will be as they say. The tangled web your ex has woven will not ensnare you.

Last edited:

TigerD

Solely from personal experience regarding MO to Washington - that's the way it worked out in my case. But that was also a couple decades ago.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">