• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son has no auto insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davidln

My son is 20 years old an living in my household. He reciently purchased a car but still has no insurance and legal tags for the car. If he is involved in an auto accident can my wife and i be held liable for any damages that occur in the incident? We live in West Virginia.

ALawyer

You should not be liable if he was doing something on his own as he is an adult, BUT you can bet that if there is an accident and someone is hurt and they look for deep pockets, they'll find some argument to drag you in, such as he was going on an errand for you and thus you are liable, or you gave him money for the car and alllowed him to operate it in violation of law, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">