• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son on probation went to another state to live with his father

• Thread starter frustrated_stepmom
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frustrated_stepmom

Parents have jointly decided to send their 17 year old son, who is on probation, to another state to live with his father in the hopes of getting him out of the environment that has been a factor in his behavior, and giving him a chance to better himself before his appointed court date.(which has not been appointed yet, we think they are waiting until he is 18 so they can try him as an adult)

My question is, what penalties if any are are awaiting the parents?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frustrated_stepmom:
Parents have jointly decided to send their 17 year old son, who is on probation, to another state to live with his father in the hopes of getting him out of the environment that has been a factor in his behavior, and giving him a chance to better himself before his appointed court date.(which has not been appointed yet, we think they are waiting until he is 18 so they can try him as an adult)

My question is, what penalties if any are are awaiting the parents?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You've left too many facts out of your post, and it's a bit vague. I need to know the crime charged AND the State where the alleged crime occured. Also, are you eluding to whether the parents are on the hook for a "probation" violation (I think you might mean "bail"?)for sending the boy to another State (there may be a provision of probation (nee Bail) to keep the boy within the court's jurisdiction)? Or, perhaps, are you asking if the parents could be held liable for the alleged crime, itself, along with the boy?

Thanks for posting, and I look forward to your response.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

F

frustrated_stepmom

The boy was raised in Oregon and while living there was charged with grand theft auto, possesion of marijuanna, probation violation, and there could be a couple of other things; I am not possitive.

The father has not seen the boy since he was a small child. When their marriage ended the mother told him he wasn't the real father. Now that she has lost total control over the boy she finally decides to find his father and see what he can do.

I don't know the exact details of his probation, but I do know that he was supposed to get his GED which he is working on now.

So I guess I am wondering if the parents were wrong in doing this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frustrated_stepmom:
The boy was raised in Oregon and while living there was charged with grand theft auto, possesion of marijuanna, probation violation, and there could be a couple of other things; I am not possitive.

The father has not seen the boy since he was a small child. When their marriage ended the mother told him he wasn't the real father. Now that she has lost total control over the boy she finally decides to find his father and see what he can do.

I don't know the exact details of his probation, but I do know that he was supposed to get his GED which he is working on now.

So I guess I am wondering if the parents were wrong in doing this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

So, I gather, then, the boy has only been charged, arraigned, and has not gone to trial yet. If that's so, he's out on "Bail", not "Probation" - - unless, there was a previous trial on other charges?

I would need to read the Bail recommendation and/or the probation sentence report in order to give you a specific answer. Usually, though, a Bail Agreement or a Probation Sentence constrains a person to the jurisdiction of the court where the sentence was rendered, or where the Bail Agreement was entered into. No one, the court or the Bailor, wants to go chasing after the boy to make his probation reportings, or to make sure he appears in court for trial. Read the court or bail papers.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

F

frustrated_stepmom

I have just found out today that the boy is on parole, not probation. I guess he was caught with a lot of drugs. He called his parole officer today to talk to him and he issued a warrant for his arrest.

So would it be wise to make his mother come and get him now, or let him stay here and go to school until they come and get him.

I only want what is best for him, but I am just not sure what that is anymore. If he stops going to school now, I am afraid that he will never get his GED unless they will let him do it in jail. Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I have just found out today that the boy is on parole, not probation. I guess he was caught with a lot of drugs. He called his parole officer today to talk to him and he issued a warrant for his arrest.

So would it be wise to make his mother come and get him now, or let him stay here and go to school until they come and get him.

I only want what is best for him, but I am just not sure what that is anymore. If he stops going to school now, I am afraid that he will never get his GED unless they will let him do it in jail. Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

BIG DIFFERENCE !! At this juncture, it is important that you, Momma and Papa all know the meaning of "Parole." Parole means that the boy is still serving his sentence, but not within confined quarters like a prison would be. Parole is a way to alleviate overcrowding, and taxpayer expenses, placing the expense of living back on the perpetrator. It does not mean he's free. Not only is the boy in trouble - because he knowingly violated parole by leaving the jurisdiction, but Mom and Dad are likewise in BIG trouble. Assisting a parolee to leave the jurisdiction is the same as breaking the boy out of prison !! There's gonna be a few arrests in this matter.

I don't care what his educational aspirations are . . . Get that kid back to where he belongs !!

PAROLE - Any form of release of an offender from imprisonment to the community by a releasing authority prior to the expiration of his sentence, subject to conditions imposed by the releasing authority and to its supervision, including a term of supervised release. 18 USC Congress has abolished parole for people convicted of federal crimes, but most states still offer parole.

"I'm leavin' on a jet plane . . . don't know when I'll be back again. Oh, babe, I hate to go. All my bags are packed, I'm ready to leave. One more time, let me kiss you . . . then close your eyes, I'll be on my way . . ." Peter, Paul & Mary ("Jetplane")

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 05, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">