• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son wants his dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My son is 13 and I just recently moved from NYC and live in California. He has been asking his mother and myself for years for the chance to live with his dad; mom has full custody. Last week my son, his mom and myself had a family dicussion about this and she agreed that she would no longer fight him on this issue. Now I need to know what is needed so that his move could be easy one. I have already located his school and I'm making plans to see the officals about school relocation. I need to know must I have full custody in order for him to go to school and how do I stop the child support payments.



In Order for this to be a Legal Change of Custody, you MUST petition the court where the child lives to modify the existing order. Otherwise you will still be liable for any support payments that accrue during the period of time you have your son.

Your ex can contact the court in NY ( I am assuming that is the court that has made the previous rulings on custody and support) and ask for the necessary documents to revise the existing orders.

Or you can visit this website:

You can order the required forms online through this site that I listed above for about $10.00 and download from that site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential