• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son wrecked friends car/son no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slicke

My son totaled friends car by hittng a parked dump truck going at slow speed around corner.
No injuries. Son not insured on my policy and has no insurance of his own. Car is insured under friends parents policy. Son had driven the car on numerous occasions, including day of accident, with permission of friend.

Son willing to pay up to half of damages as his fair share but freind now saying my son has to pay all because his parents don't want to claim on their policy and my son was the one driving. Friend feels they have no responibility.

With whom does legal responsibility lie? Can son be sued if he refuses to pay total?

------------------

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Depends on the statutes and case law in your state covering a situation of:

parents' insurance
Boy A on parents' insurance
Boy B is friend of Boy A -- had permission to drive car
Boy B was negligent

My perspective -- boy A and B are both responsible -- but I think B should pay most of damages. Again, though, this depends on the type of neligence laws applicable in your state.

Try to repost with mentioning your state or contact an accident attorney. Try attorneypages.com. Some of them give free consultations, so what could it hurt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">