• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sothwest Rapid Rewards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackphx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I have a Southwest Rapid rewards account and my employer mandates I allow his access to this account to utilize the rewards for other employees that I generate while flying on business for the company.
Southwest has the following rules:
# Membership in the Rapid Rewards program is for individual travelers only. Individuals must enroll separately and may not pool or combine credits with other Members. Members are limited to one account. Corporations and other entities may not be enrolled as Members.
# Credits can only be earned by the person whose name appears in the Rapid Rewards account and who actually travels, regardless of who purchased or paid for the ticket. The membership card is nontransferrable, and photo identification will be required.

Am I commiting fraud by collecting rewards for use by the corperation instead of myself?
Who determines ownership of the rewards my employer or southwest?
Do the rewards belong to me or my employer?
Is the account a contract between me and southwest?
If the account is a contract how can a third party legally usurp earned property?

blackphx

>>If it had not been for the travelling on behalf of the employer, you wouldn't have them at all. <<

Granted, but according to that logic when we perform service on behalf of our customers and with out them we would not have them at all either. Plus the customers pay for the airfare as part of paying for expenses. Does that mean our customers are the ones who should be able to collect the rewards.

Plus with out me being willing to take on the obligations and responsibilities of being an account holder there would be no rewards either.

the terms of the account state corporate entities can not be members and if the corporation is collecting the reward and the reward can only be given to the member that actually travel then I am acting as an agent of the corporation and not as myself. This is a clear violation of the terms of service. Also If I am flying on behalf of the corporation and not as myself am I not misreprenting my personage in order to secure service against the express will of the Service provider for the agent in which I am traveling on behalf. So is this a violation of Florida staute 817.02? If so can my employer mandate on threat of terminating my employment force me to commit a crime? also because all of my flights involve interstate traffic does this constitute a federal crime? Because it is my name on the account could I be sued by SouthWest to recover the credit used so far by my employer in a civil suit?

swalsh411

If a program rule is broken Southwest may nullify the "points", and your manager won't get his free plane tickets, or golf bag, or whatever else he is trying to use the points for. That's about it. So stop worrying about being personally sued or going to jail.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can use your points to pay for others' travel (according to what you posted).

TinkerBelleLuvr

Your free rewards can be used to pay for another person to fly - I know - I've done it.

If you received 24 "points" based solely on the company paying for the flights, then yes, it is legitimate for them to want those points utilized for work.

Now, if some of those awards are because YOU personally paid for those flights, that is a different issue.

FlyingRon

Many of the people I've worked for over the years have one of the following:

1. Points earned on business travel are yours.
2. Points earned on business travel are to be used on your business travel (this is the federal government rules)
3. Points earned on business travel are theirs.

If you're in the #2 or #3 category, it behooves you to use a different ff account # for business travel

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">