• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speaking of Citibank sucking...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rangatango

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

? I have an old charged off debt with Citibank (like, teenager debt). They've sent that to a collection agency (midland). As far as I can tell, the statute has run out, although I can't be positive because all of the credit reports have different dates and I don't know if I am looking at the date Citibank charged if off or if I am looking at the date that I stopped paying. Does the SOL continue in spite of Citi selling it to Midland or does that start the clock all over again? I wrote the "stop calling me" letter and they've obtained an attorney. I am not being sued (yet) and I don't mind being sued (cause I will fight) if I have a leg to stand on.

sawtooth

The thing about these credit card companies is that they send out a billion of these application forms to everyone. I even got one for my dog some how. So all it takes is one person to get a hold of your social security number and bam it is up to you to prove your innocence. When CitiBank can't collect they will send out one of these second rate collection agencies after you despite the fact that they know the bill is past the legal time frame. Good for you forcing them to put everything in writing. They threaten to bring you to court to intimidate you over the legal fees. Almost like a gangster. So I will take my appeal all the way to court just because of principal. I may have to hire an attorney but I will not be sending my money to settle things to those thugs in Atlanta.

What legal time frame? The time frame involved their ability to sue you in a court of law but you owe the debt through eternity.

Responsibility is yours for obtaining credit and using it wisely not the CC company.

sawtooth

Maybe you did not read my post correctly. Legally there is a time from and it is called the Statutes of Limitations. I am dealing with a case of stolen idendity. The credit card companies do not seem to worried about this because in the end it will be the unsuspecting consumer who will have to pay the price. The moral problem I see is these debt collectors who know legally they have no claim to recovery and yet still seem to use these scare tatics to try to intimidate people to pay these debts that they did not do. Eternity is a very long time and I don't plan on paying for someone elses dishonesty. Just my 2 cents worth.

rangatango

OK moral high horse-I get it. The fact of the matter is that in spite of the mistakes that I have made, I continue to have rights. Merely because citibank is a large company and can bully people doesn't mean that 1)they don't have to play by the rules or that 2)I have to roll over and play dead in spite of my mistakes. They've had ten years to come after me-they've chosen to do it now. I have every right to fight back, five or six years ago I wouldn't have. If they get a judgement against me, they I will pay it. But that's what is going to have to happen, it being this far gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">