• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed Ticket. Cop using LASER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpolubin

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

Two weeks ago I received a speeding ticket for doing 40 in a 35mph, but the cop did write that I was doing +51mph and was trying to give me a break. I was amongst other vehicles on the three lane highway and was benig passed. The cop wrote down that he was 276' away when he used a laser gun while he was stationary. My questions are:

1) Was he too far to get an accurate reading since the cone of the laser path would be wide enough at 276' that he would be measuring other vehicles speeds?

2) Since I am fighting the ticket in court (date will be set in 6 to 8 weeks from now) does the cop need to bring his calibration certificate for the laser, his traing records, he written procedure for how to calibrate and operate this laser?

3) Any advise would be helpful. I have some time to build a strong case.

Thank you!!

Last edited:

1) No. Laser range is effective out to 1,000 ft and only has a beamwidth of 3 ft at that distance. How Laser Works

2) Probably not.

3) Michigan used to not issue points for speeding 5mph or less, check with your DMV to see if this is still the case.

A you said, the officer cut you a big break. Keep in mind there is risk the ticket be amended back to the 51 written on the ticket if you choose to fight the charge.

Also, the officer does not "calibrate" the laser, as this is done by either the manafacturer or a professional trained to do so. The officer has to just verify that the tested it and it WAS working to manafacturer standards.

racer72

2. The ticket is all the officer is going to present as evidence against you. Anything you wish to present as evidence will require a subpeona from the court. Some things, like training records, will not be provided, that is considered personal info and just like certain things of yours are considered private, the officer has the same rights. The most you may recieve will be a letter from the officer's superior that his is qualified/certified for the equipment used. Many laser and radar manufacturers consider the training manuals for their equipment as proprietary and this will not be given to you. And if you don't have specific training, you may not be able to use some of the info in court. You will have to hire an expert witness. I would suggest talking to an attorney first. At a minimum he may coach you through your case.

ljt99

jpolubin said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan.

Two weeks ago I received a speeding ticket for doing 40 in a 35mph, but the cop did write that I was doing +51mph and was trying to give me a break. I was amongst other vehicles on the three lane highway and was benig passed. The cop wrote down that he was 276' away when he used a laser gun while he was stationary. My questions are:

1) Was he too far to get an accurate reading since the cone of the laser path would be wide enough at 276' that he would be measuring other vehicles speeds?

2) Since I am fighting the ticket in court (date will be set in 6 to 8 weeks from now) does the cop need to bring his calibration certificate for the laser, his traing records, he written procedure for how to calibrate and operate this laser?

3) Any advise would be helpful. I have some time to build a strong case.

Thank you!!
I advise you to go to your local library and check out books relevant to fighting a speeding ticket. Many members of this forum will ridicule the suggestion, but the books do offer a lot of information and advice. It is well worth your time to read them to be better prepared to fight the ticket. There are also a few good websites regarding fighting a speeding ticket.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">