• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 17mph over the speed limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dallasblair

I was pulled over on a highway in NC for speeding 72mph in a 55 (along with two other cars in that same area within an hour afterwards). I have never been pulled over and my record is clean. I’m being charged with a class 3 misdemeanor, do I go to court and try to lessen it or just pay the fine online? I don’t know what to do or how to go about the next step! I’m 17 and have to pay everything out of pocket. Help!!

Just Blue

I was pulled over on a highway in NC for speeding 72mph in a 55 (along with two other cars in that same area within an hour afterwards). I have never been pulled over and my record is clean. I’m being charged with a class 3 misdemeanor, do I go to court and try to lessen it or just pay the fine online? I don’t know what to do or how to go about the next step! I’m 17 and have to pay everything out of pocket. Help!!
How long have you had your license? Are your parents aware of this?

Just Blue

I’ve had my license for over a year and they are aware of it.
You need an attorney as you are being charged criminally. You may also lose your license. Expect your insurance to sky-rocket in cost. What is the exact charge (citation number) you are being charged with?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How do you know what happened an hour after the fact??

Hopefully you'll lose your driving privilege for a while. You're not off to a very good start in your driving career.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

72 in a 55, if you are convicted of that is a guaranteed 30-day suspension (with the possibility of a restricted license). You can not only expect to pay a hefty fine but your insurance WILL go up substantially. PJC is off the table for charges of this magnitude. As pointed out, even class 3 misdemeanors have serious implications. You could get up to 20 days in jail. There's no way to "pay the fine online" with such a charge. You must go to court. You would be advised to speak to an attorney. A lawyer may be able to get this reduced to speeding (less than 15 over) or some other non-criminal violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">