• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding in a school zone in texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asdsld3

I am a Texas resident who was stopped for speeding in a school zone. The officer stopped me for doing 38 in a 20 in a suburb of dallas. I appeared in court when the officer told me to be there on the ticket and the presiding judge told me that the officer was not in attendance and if i wanted to plead not guilty then the case would be rescheduled for when the officer could attend. I had to plead no contest and was awarded deferred judification for 6 months. the judge also is making me take a defensive driving course, and did not provide me with the necessary paperwork to retreive my driving record from the D.O.T. in austin after my 6 months. Do municipalities have the authority to do this because it feels wrong. I always thought that if you were there on the day of the ticket, and the officer wasn't, then the ticket was thrown out.

X

Xjudge

The officer had a valid reason not to attend, sick leave or vacation, required attendance at another hearing, etc. The officer not attending your hearing is not a valid reason for dismissal of a citatation. In fact, many states including the one I live in, police officers are not required to attend traffic court for misdemeanor offenses that have fines less than $750.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">