• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket options (of course)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kforssen

I live in Washington state and recently received a speeding ticket in the state of Oregon. I admit full fault and believe the officer's clocked reading (87mph by radar), but would like to keep my record as clean as possible. I rarely speed and had a perfect record until today (having driven in 9 countries and most of the US since I began driving). I have never been cited for any traffic violation and want to express my concern with this incidence.

The situation:
Went down for Univ of Washington Husky Marching band to Cal Berkeley for the football game in a 7 seat van with six other people. Tight schedule to do this, but we were to have plenty of time to get back in time for work and school obligations (one individual had test and paper early Monday, two individuals need to work at 5:45 and 8:00AM). One of the other vehicles ahead of us with other band members broke down (transmission failure). We were called and responded to assist them. They had car towed an hour away to Medford, OR and we met them there to help. This put us well behind and in Linn County, OR, I sped on a very long, very straight, and very empty stretch of freeway (fully at fault). I was extremely concerned for my friends getting back in time for the test, etc and for my getting to work on time. Was not paying attention to speed and willingly acknowledge that the police officer probably did clock me when I wasn't paying attention to my speed. I don't want to "fight' this, I just hope I can get a break for the situation and for my concern with it happening. The court date is 12/23/03 @1:00 and I feel the officer may well not show up at all. Please advise if you have time. Oh, and I'm going to bring receipts for the transmission repair and another member of the convoy to confirm this to be true. Thanks!

K

kforssen

Forgot to say that it was a 65mph zone (OR has the lowest speed limits in the Northwest).

Ticket information:
Traffic violation
Court-Circut court
Violated-811.112

Officer notes what looks like "407.2FT" and base fine of 421.00USD
He did not check off a box in the "intentional/knowing/reckless/criminal negligence/no culpable mental state" portion. Incorrect date of 10/13/03 written over with 11/17/03

Last edited:
B

BillyBG

Sympathy for your situation? Depends on the judge. I had two friends charged with the same offense, but went to trial separately. They had different judges and one got off easier than the other one.

dequeendistress

No sympathy.

If it is truly your only violation you may be able to have it reduced by completing a driving course.

Take your receipts to prove you had a reason to break the law...:rolleyes: accompanied with your other B.S.

K

kforssen

This last reply is a very rude one. I am not trying to get out of anything and know I may well get no sympathy. 7 years of driving with no citations I would think does indicate the infrequency of this. And you are supposed to offer advice, not your rude opinions. I just don't want the judge to think I'm making everything up. I know there is no real excuse for breaking the law.

abezon

Check with the OR courts, but your 2 basic options are deferrment and/or traffic school and mitigation. Mitigation is when you plead guilty but request the fine be lowered because you're a nice guy & very very sorry. Deferrment has you pay a large "fee", then the ticket drops off your record if you go a year without any other tickets. If you get another ticket, you get to pay te $421 fine on the first ticket. Deferrment may not be available since you live out of state.

Also check if the cop needs to show up or if he can submit an affidavit. If he can testify by affidavit, you'll need to subpoena him & hope he doesn't show, then move for dismissal (NOT a continuance) since you live so far away it would be a hardship to make you return again.

lwpat

I guess I need to translate for you. Judges and officers hear this type of thing all the time. All your story will do for you is hopefully put the judge to sleep and he will forget to find you guilty. Usually it just ticks him off to have to listen to all the drivel and he throws the book at you.

You are guilty of speeding and have no defense. Call the clerk of court and see if they will accept a WA traffic school certificate and not report the ticket or if you are eligible for a deferment program.

If neither of those are available then show up on your court date and try to negotiate the ticket down or hire an attorney to do this for you.

K

kforssen

Thank you. This last reply above, is what I needed to hear. I have no law background and know nothing of the process. Thanks for the help guys. I will request a deferment and if not available will get a traffic school certificate (which Oregon does accept from other states).

abezon

Reverse those. :) Try for traffic school first. Only defer if you can't take traffic school. Traffic school is cheaper.

dequeendistress

Sorry you mistook my honesty as rudeness.

As you see you were advised by others the driving course is a recourse. The reasons why you were speeding are irrelevant. Everyone who is tagged for speeding has a "reason."

Best of luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">