• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Acurakidd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I received a speeding ticket for the first time in my life. Was going 53mph in a 30 zone according to the cop. I don't believe I was going this fast. When the cop approached me and asked how fast was I going, I answered "I believe I was well within the speed limit" He replied I was going 53mph. I live in NYC, and according to the info on the back of the ticket, going 21mph+ gives you 6 points + $195 fine. 6 points = a Driver Responsiblity Assessment, which is another $300. I want to hire a lawyer to dispute this as much as possible. What are my chances? I've never been in trouble before, never been arrested, never had speeding tickets, never had moving violations, besides a couple seat belt tickets, parking tickets, and window tint tickets. What should I expect the outcome of this to be if I get a lawyer? What are reasonable rates for lawyer? What type of lawyer should I be looking for?

You Are Guilty

What are my chances?
I have consulted my Sarcastic Magic 8 Ball and it says "Ask Me If I Care". (That's why I don't ask it any legal questions). As far as I am aware, there are no psychics who post here though.
What should I expect the outcome of this to be if I get a lawyer?
See above.
What are reasonable rates for lawyer?
Well, that depends on what you consider "reasonable" to be. For a "simple" speeding ticket, if you are paying more than $1,000, then you are paying too much. (But remember, sometimes you do get what you pay for).
What type of lawyer should I be looking for?
Ahhh... traffic law ya think? Unless you want him to also draft you up a living trust, in which case you'll want what's known as an "estates lawyer".

Good luck.

[edit]
What does this have to do with "Sentencing and Parole"?

Acurakidd

Sorry, I couldn't find the appropriate section to post this in, if it could be moved to the proper section, then I'd greatly appreciate that.

dave33

Acurakidd, You neglected to put what state you are in. You also posted in the wrong forum.
That being said, maybe in your state you have a chance of a dismissal because of your good driving record.

Although I almost advocate for a lawyer, I'm not so sure one could do very much good in this situation. It seems to be your word against the officer's.
The chances are not good for you.

You Are Guilty

Acurakidd, You neglected to put what state you are in.
And you neglected to read his post:
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I received a speeding ticket for the first time in my life. Was going 53mph in a 30 zone according to the cop. I don't believe I was going this fast. When the cop approached me and asked how fast was I going, I answered "I believe I was well within the speed limit" He replied I was going 53mph. [highlight]I live in NYC[/highlight], and according to the info on the back of the ticket, going 21mph+ gives you 6 points + $195 fine. 6 points = a Driver Responsiblity Assessment, which is another $300. I want to hire a lawyer to dispute this as much as possible. What are my chances? I've never been in trouble before, never been arrested, never had speeding tickets, never had moving violations, besides a couple seat belt tickets, parking tickets, and window tint tickets. What should I expect the outcome of this to be if I get a lawyer? What are reasonable rates for lawyer? What type of lawyer should I be looking for?
Which leads me to ask, when you said:
The chances are not good for you.
... what exactly is "not good"? 10% 33%? 50%? 75%?

To steal a quote from another post, "You give Daves a bad name."

dave33

And you neglected to read his post:

Which leads me to ask, when you said:

... what exactly is "not good"? 10% 33%? 50%? 75%?

To steal a quote from another post, "You give Daves a bad name."

Looks like I overlooked the nyc.

I meant when it is your word against the officers your chances are not good.

Let me respond to your insult. GO TO HELL YOU JERK!

dave33

I have consulted my Sarcastic Magic 8 Ball and it says "Ask Me If I Care". (That's why I don't ask it any legal questions). As far as I am aware, there are no psychics who post here though.

See above.

Well, that depends on what you consider "reasonable" to be. For a "simple" speeding ticket, if you are paying more than $1,000, then you are paying too much. (But remember, sometimes you do get what you pay for).

Ahhh... traffic law ya think? Unless you want him to also draft you up a living trust, in which case you'll want what's known as an "estates lawyer".

Good luck.

[edit]
What does this have to do with "Sentencing and Parole"?
Treating people with no consideration. Another coward on this site.

Ha,ha, ha a living trust. Lot's of good that did. You must be completely useless to take up so much time to belittle people.

You Are Guilty

Ha,ha, ha a living trust. Lot's of good that did. You must be completely useless to take up so much time to belittle people.
I'm not sure what is more amusing - your response, or the fact that it took you five more minutes to come up with it.

Keep on keepin' on, amigo.

dave33

I'm not sure what is more amusing - your response, or the fact that it took you five more minutes to come up with it.

Keep on keepin' on, amigo.
If 5 minutes for a response is amusing to you, it must be hilarious that it took you an hour and a half.

That's not amusing at all, is it.

You Are Guilty

If 5 minutes for a response is amusing to you, it must be hilarious that it took you an hour and a half.

That's not amusing at all, is it.
I'll let the facts speak for themselves:
First Post said:
Today, 01:25 PM #6
dave33
dave33 is online now Senior Member

Looks like I overlooked the nyc.

I meant when it is your word against the officers your chances are not good.

Let me respond to your insult. GO TO HELL YOU JERK!
Your Second Post said:
Today, 01:30 PM #7
dave33
dave33 is online now Senior Member

And still, no answer to my question. Care to try to go 3 for 3?

dave33

I'll let the facts speak for themselves:

And still, no answer to my question. Care to try to go 3 for 3?
Are you that bored? You have way to much time on your hands.

Why not give a friend a call and see how they are doing? No friends?

What question? The stupid % thing? Who would answer such foolishness?

You Are Guilty

Can we please get back on topic and focus on my issue?
I'm trying. Dave here offered you an answer which obviously was as useless to you as it was to the rest of us, so I have been asking him to clarify. As you can see from his latest response:
What question? The stupid % thing? Who would answer such foolishness?
It doesn't look like he's going to be of much help here.

Other than Psychic Dave, no one can tell you what will happen in the future. However, generally speaking, your chances of a "better" result go up when you retain a lawyer. Start asking your friends for recommendations, or you can click the "Find a Lawyer" link that's all over this website.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Can we please get back on topic and focus on my issue?
You have issues if you couldn't find the correct section to post your question in.

In any event, if you received a speeding ticket in NYC you were written by either

1) NYPD Highway Patrol or

2) a precinct summons officer who is trained to do speed enforcement (relatively few NYPD officers are so trained).

Where, specifically, did you receive this summons?

In either case you will be going up against an officer who writes a lot of speeds and can testify in court to all of the facts and circumstances of the case in under two minutes. These officers rarely make mistakes and an attorney doesn't stand much of a chance against such a pro.

Feel free to drop a bit of money on an attorney but do NOT expect to win. There is always a chance you will, but the chance is minuscule.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you insist on hiring an attorney, your best bet would be to go to the Traffic Violations Bureau office where you will have to appear for trial and retain one of the regular attorneys there. They are all about the same as far as skill level is concerned, so take your pick.

Dave33 knows nothing about the process anywhere in New York, much less New York City. I really wouldn't pay him much attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">