• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spinal stenosis disability without surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

After dealing with lumbar stenosis for the last two years I have exhausted all the conservative treatment options (except acupuncture) and the doctor says my only option is back surgery which I do not want to have because of the horror stories.

I'm 57, if I apply for disability will they deny benefits if I have refused the surgery?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I'm 57, if I apply for disability will they deny benefits if I have refused the surgery?
It is a possibility that you would be denied SSA disability benefits. It is the policy of the SSA that a failure to follow recommended treatment or to get a recommended procedure that might restore your ability to work would result in a determination that you are not under a disability, with the result that SSA will not approve benefits. See the policy here: SSA policy statement SSR 82-59.

justalayman

It is possible to have spinal stenosis and not be disabled. It depends on the severity of the matter and whether you are disabled by the spinal stenosis. Two different people can have the same malady and depending on what each does for their regular work and the severity of their conditions, one could be classified as disabled and the other not.

Btw; I have a friend who has spinal stenosis. He worked for at least 20 years after his diagnosis. He has also had a procedure to alleviate the symptoms, several times. Given he has repeated the surgery I would take that as him recommending the procedure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">