• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal/child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpnabs

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was engaged and living with my girlfriend for 12 years, we had 3 kids together, she became a stay at home mom after our first son was born because it didn't make sense for her to work as childcare ate up her entire check plus some of mine. So I've been the sole income and sole provider. Her and the kids qualified for state insurance, but i had insurance through my work. I recently moved out and we split up. We are trying to come to terms on agreeing amicable but she keeps throwing in my face that I would have to not only give her child support (29%) but also spousal maintenance because she stayed home and took care of our kids and didn't work this entire time. AND i would have to pay back all of the past 12 years of medical expenses for the kids. I read something somewhere where if the mom had badgercare before the kids were born, then the father would not be liable. But i don't know how accurate that is. So if we cannot be amicable and come up with a decision, what would happen to me in the court systems in regards to what id pay besides child support

Just Blue

I was engaged and living with my girlfriend for 12 years, we had 3 kids together, she became a stay at home mom after our first son was born because it didn't make sense for her to work as childcare ate up her entire check plus some of mine. So I've been the sole income and sole provider. Her and the kids qualified for state insurance, but i had insurance through my work. I recently moved out and we split up. We are trying to come to terms on agreeing amicable but she keeps throwing in my face that I would have to not only give her child support (29%) but also spousal maintenance because she stayed home and took care of our kids and didn't work this entire time. AND i would have to pay back all of the past 12 years of medical expenses for the kids. I read something somewhere where if the mom had badgercare before the kids were born, then the father would not be liable. But i don't know how accurate that is. So if we cannot be amicable and come up with a decision, what would happen to me in the court systems in regards to what id pay besides child support
She wasn't your spouse so she won't get spousal support. If she is awarded PC, which she likely will, she will get CS.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She wasn't your spouse so she won't get spousal support. If she is awarded PC, which she likely will, she will get CS.
Fixed that for ya.

You may also be required to cover the children's insurance going forward, even if they are covered by the state, as secondary coverage. Were you ever legally determined to be the father?

LdiJ

You were never married therefore she cannot get alimony. The state may or may not go after you for the past years medical insurance, but if you have insurance available to the children at work the state will probably require you to put them on it now. Daycare costs for the children will also factor into child support as well because mom will obviously have to get a job now.

Google an online child support calculator for your state and run some numbers to see where you might stand.

Google a child support calculator for

LdiJ

Folks - even the stuff that seems obvious needs to be looked in to. The woman may, in fact, have some viable claim(s):

https://www.wisbar.org/NewsPublications/InsideTrack/Pages/Article.aspx?Volume=7&Issue=18&ArticleID=24325
With a competent attorney, she may have some success.
I just read the entire article, it was not about alimony. The case it cited was not about alimony. It was about unjust enrichment when assets were paid for by both parties, but were technically in the name of just one of the parties.

So, if she helped him buy a house by contributing to the down-payment and the mortgage, then she might have a viable claim against him. However, since it appears that she had no income and therefore did not contribute to any assets I do not believe that article applies to her.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would be willing to bet that if OP's g/f, fiancee, whatever knows enough to mention SS, she's at least spoken to a lawyer...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">