• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal medical coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

During separation, my spouse forced me to sign a form stating that I would cover them until the end of the year in order to be released from the lease and all bank accounts. Am I required to honor this document after a divorce?
1. Did you have a gun to your head?
2. Was the form signed by the Judge?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Am I required to honor this document after a divorce?

If the judge says you are, you are.

If the judge says you aren't, you aren't.

HRZ

CAution ...words count and after the divorce the ex is no longer your spouse ...but the rough part if you mean coverage provided by your employer, that stops upon divorce ...for a firm with 20+ employees, you probably can buy or pay for coverage for ex via COBRA for a good number of months ..but the costs may be whopping !
...details of what you signed may matter a lot ...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
CAution ...words count and after the divorce the ex is no longer your spouse ...but the rough part if you mean coverage provided by your employer, that stops upon divorce ...for a firm with 20+ employees, you probably can buy or pay for coverage for ex via COBRA for a good number of months ..but the costs may be whopping !
...details of what you signed may matter a lot ...
That is the mere mechanics. It does not matter how the coverage is paid.

What was asked, and what legally matters, is if OP is *required* to maintain the insurance on the ex spouse.

cbg's response is succinct and accurate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">