• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support/Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I've been married to my husband for nearly 3 years, living together for 5. I'm in the process of getting a divorce, papers just got picked up yesterday. My husband told me previously that he was planning on supporting me after the divorce, but for some reason had the check-box titled, "My spouse is NOT entitled to spousal support," checked.

I am unemployed, 22 years old and en-route to transferring back to the mainland from Hawaii. He is a Lieutenant (O3-rank) in the Navy, serving 17 years. I don't have my own checking account nor do I have any savings.

What am I legally entitled to for separation support, and 'maintenance' alimony? And for how long?


Senior Member
For a 3 year marriage, you shouldn't be eligible for anything as far as alimony/spousal support. Why, at 22 you are unemployed is beyond me, but you had better change that situation quickly.

If you find a judge that has a little bit of a sympathy bone, you may be able to get 3 months of support out of him... MAYBE, but I sure as well wouldn't count on it, and if I were your STBX, I'd fight it tooth and nail. He has no obligation to support you post divorce.


Depending on your state's divorce laws you may qualify for an "allowance". This would be support/assistance for a period of time while you re-adjusted to single status. This might include getting a college degree or some job training so you can support yourself. "For some reason" he checked the box for no support? I doubt it was a mistake, regardless of what he may have told you, you need to plan on him trying to dump you without giving you a dime. I would advise, as usual, you talk to a lawyer. In addition, he has to support you until a court rules otherwise, so in the interim he should be giving you something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential