• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support/Verbal Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markwhis

What is the name of your state? State of Missouri, Franklin county.

In 1974 my ex-wife and I divorced. Our lawyer insisted we put spousal support in the divorce papers. We said no, but he insisted and we finally gave up arguing with him and signed the papers.
My ex-wife and I made a verbal agreement that day, that she did not want the spousal support and she would not ask me to pay it.
Now for the problem.......

The state of Missouri, in 1998, sent me a letter stating that I owe $5,000 for back spousal support along with the back child support that I was already paying. I've called and talked till blue in the face and get no where with anyone I talk to. They say I'm stuck with the order and that's it.
Is it possible to get the courts to rescind the spousal support written in our divorce agreement, based on our verbal agreement back in 1974 ?
My ex-wife has agreed to sign a sworn statement about the 1974 verbal agreement.
I have a small income and can't afford a lawyer, so I called "Legal aid" for help. The said they don't do support issues. (they will help illegal aliens and terrorists, but not Americans with child or spousal support problems)
According to the paper from the agency representing the state, I have thirty (30) calendar days to respond to any mistakes of fact. The letter is dated,08/22/2005.
I need help and don't know where to turn. Thanks in advance.

Mark

LdiJ

markwhis said:
What is the name of your state? State of Missouri, Franklin county.

In 1974 my ex-wife and I divorced. Our lawyer insisted we put spousal support in the divorce papers. We said no, but he insisted and we finally gave up arguing with him and signed the papers.
My ex-wife and I made a verbal agreement that day, that she did not want the spousal support and she would not ask me to pay it.
Now for the problem.......

The state of Missouri, in 1998, sent me a letter stating that I owe $5,000 for back spousal support along with the back child support that I was already paying. I've called and talked till blue in the face and get no where with anyone I talk to. They say I'm stuck with the order and that's it.
Is it possible to get the courts to rescind the spousal support written in our divorce agreement, based on our verbal agreement back in 1974 ?
My ex-wife has agreed to sign a sworn statement about the 1974 verbal agreement.
I have a small income and can't afford a lawyer, so I called "Legal aid" for help. The said they don't do support issues. (they will help illegal aliens and terrorists, but not Americans with child or spousal support problems)
According to the paper from the agency representing the state, I have thirty (30) calendar days to respond to any mistakes of fact. The letter is dated,08/22/2005.
I need help and don't know where to turn. Thanks in advance.

Mark
You may be stuck with the order. How did the state get the information that you hadn't paid it?

markwhis

LdiJ said:
You may be stuck with the order. How did the state get the information that you hadn't paid it?
As far as I know, someone from the state was looking at my file and saw a copy of my divorce paper work, showing spousal support and decided to to use me as a "Cash cow".
Any time I was before a judge, back spousal support was never mentioned. it just one day showed up in a letter from the Child support enforcement division in 1998.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">