• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support

• Thread starter ladydragon13060
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladydragon13060

My boyfriend and I live in New York. His ex-wife is now filing for spousal support when there is no divorce or separation filed. When she left she took everything that was payed for and now wants the rest. She didn't even leave him food for a week. She even took clothes of his and other personal belongings and destroyed them. What can we do?Wil sheget support? She has her own income and a settlement coming soon from a comp case. This doesnt seem fair.

Grace_Adler

I don't know much about spousal support but from what I've heard.. that is usually resolved during divorce proceedings. Also most people who get spousal support are people who have been married a long time..like close to 10 years (I think) and who have been living a certain lifestyle with the other spouse supporting it like not working and staying home with the kids..ect. In my opinion I don't see her getting it. I'll give you a link to go to so you can try to research more on the state laws regarding this.

http://polisci.com/web/slegis.htm

Whyte Noise

ladydragon13060 said:
My boyfriend and I live in New York. His ex-wife is now filing for spousal support when there is no divorce or separation filed. When she left she took everything that was payed for and now wants the rest. She didn't even leave him food for a week. She even took clothes of his and other personal belongings and destroyed them. What can we do?Wil sheget support? She has her own income and a settlement coming soon from a comp case. This doesnt seem fair.
First off, if there is no divorce or seperation agreement that has been filed, then she is not his "ex-wife". And yes, the courts in New York may award spousal maintainance during the divorce proceedings. Like Grace said, a lot of times it depends on the duration of the marriage, and the lifestyle they maintained during the marriage.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She's not his ex-wife

if there's no divorce/separation filed - she's his *wife*. And since y'all live in NY (which is a fault state), she may be able to file against your b/f on the grounds of adultery. Yes, she might be able to get support, she will be entitled to a portion of the marital assets, etc. And this is something *he* needs to deal with - you don't have a dog in the fight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">