• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Ohio

My dissolution agreement has me paying spousal support for 72 months with no mention of early termination for re-marriage or change in income. My X recently re-married - should I petition the court to stop spousal support or will I end up paying more in Atty's fees than its worth?


Under the Radar Member
I guess it all depends on how much of the 72 months you have left, how much you pay each month, and whether the alimony was for "support" or whether it was part of the settlement of assets. If it's the latter (and I suspect it is since there's no provision for remarriage) - there's not a thing you can do since it basically got you out of paying her a lump sum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential