• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rutt40

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My spouse has filed for spousal support. I have resigned from my job. I have no plans for employment. Will I still have to pay her spousal support since I'm not employed?

BelizeBreeze

rutt40 said:

My spouse has filed for spousal support. I have resigned from my job. I have no plans for employment. Will I still have to pay her spousal support since I'm not employed?
and quitting your job won't help. IF your spouse is awarded support you WILL get your ass back to work. :D

VeronicaGia

rutt40 said:

Most if not all states have the ability to impute income to someone who is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed. This was not a smart move on your part.

nextwife

Of course, if there is no legal basis within your state's guidelines for her to be awarded spousal support (comparable incomes, short term marriage, she makes more, etc.) then your quiting work will be irrelevant.

If there is a statutory basis for awarding spousal support, it won't make any difference if you quit work, other than if you are now disabled and physically unable to continue your previous employment (like when my dad had brain tumor surgery and resulting paralysis)

J

jackedbyjudge

give us a friggen break

nextwife said:
Of course, if there is no legal basis within your state's guidelines for her to be awarded spousal support (comparable incomes, short term marriage, she makes more, etc.) then your quiting work will be irrelevant.

If there is a statutory basis for awarding spousal support, it won't make any difference if you quit work, other than if you are now disabled and physically unable to continue your previous employment (like when my dad had brain tumor surgery and resulting paralysis)
OMG!!! It's obvious that he quit work to attempt avoiding paying support...if he had anything to say relevant to your reply, don't you think he would have had added that in his inquiry?? why do you have to ramble?

BelizeBreeze

jackedbyjudge said:
OMG!!! It's obvious that he quit work to attempt avoiding paying support...if he had anything to say relevant to your reply, don't you think he would have had added that in his inquiry?? why do you have to ramble?
And you have added to this thread how? :rolleyes:

nextwife

jackedbyjudge said:
Excuse me? Ramble? You got all huffy and indignant without having any background on STBXs actual eligiblity to be awarded SS. Paradise DID ask the correct questions.

Some people DO have a legitimate reason to stop working. Turning 65 and becoming eligible for SS benefits is one. Becoming disabled is another. Getting offered a significant early retirement incentive is yet another (our county had a program a couple years ago that provided a very attractive early retirement package to help accelerate staffing cuts).

You have NO idea if his STBX did or didn't ACTUALLY have a legal basis to be awarded spousal support. The poster shared no financial information.

PLENTY of posters have come around here asking for spousal support after ridiculously short marriages (look in the archives, one had a 6 WEEK marriage!). If the ones asking for spousal support are so misunderstanding the LEGAL basis for it, why would the ones being ASKED for spousal support necessarilly be better informed?

Last edited:
J

jackedbyjudge

sorry for being new here

nextwife said:
Excuse me? Ramble? You got all huffy and indignant without having any background on STBXs actual eligiblity to be awarded SS. Paradise DID ask the correct questions.

Some people DO have a legitimate reason to stop working. Turning 65 and becoming eligible for SS benefits is one. Becoming disabled is another. Getting offered a significant early retirement incentive is yet another (our county had a program a couple years ago that provided a very attractive early retirement package to help accelerate staffing cuts).

You have NO idea if his STBX did or didn't ACTUALLY have a legal basis to be awarded spousal support. The poster shared no financial information.

PLENTY of posters have come around here asking for spousal support after ridiculously short marriages (look in the archives, one had a 6 WEEK marriage!). If the ones asking for spousal support are so misunderstanding the LEGAL basis for it, why would the ones being ASKED for spousal support necessarilly be better informed?

I do appologize to you. Now, I have a question and I hope you are eager to answer....If I quit work and stop paying my ex-wife court ordered alimony, will the judge ask the same questions you asked to that poor boy?

BelizeBreeze

jackedbyjudge said:
I do appologize to you. Now, I have a question and I hope you are eager to answer....If I quit work and stop paying my ex-wife court ordered alimony, will the judge ask the same questions you asked to that poor boy?
Stop being a jackass.

You HAVE an alimony order issued by a court. This poster does not.

Want to play apples and oranges go to the grocery store. :rolleyes:

J

jackedbyjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Stop being a jackass.

You HAVE an alimony order issued by a court. This poster does not.

Want to play apples and oranges go to the grocery store. :rolleyes:
oh my word...do you mean to tell me that the same exact circumstances can have different outcomes in a court of law in that same state and county?? why i never new that...thank you for that information..i lke mangoes and durians...you ever eat a durian??

BelizeBreeze

jackedbyjudge said:
oh my word...do you mean to tell me that the same exact circumstances can have different outcomes in a court of law in that same state and county?? why i never new that...thank you for that information..i lke mangoes and durians...you ever eat a durian??
It's spelled KNEW...

and having an order for alimony and My spouse has filed for spousal support are not the same.

From where DO you people come? :rolleyes:

J

jackedbyjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
It's spelled KNEW...

and having an order for alimony and My spouse has filed for spousal support are not the same.

From where DO you people come? :rolleyes:
by golly you're right about "new" vs "knew" i just looked it up in the dictionary...took me a few minutes to figure it out..nice catch buddy, but you missed the i in like, but that's ok.

I'll tell you where i come from...i come from a town where you line up 32 women along the highway you get a full set of teeth...i probably gave the location away to you right??

ceara19

jackedbyjudge said:

Gee, bitter much?

ceara19

rutt40 said:

Just curious, how are you planning on supporting yourself while you are on your little hiatus to avoid paying support (if I have your motivation for quitting your job wrong, I apologize)? Depending on your state though, this may not matter. Some states will be more than happy to give you a roof over your head, three meals a day and to take care of your basic needs while you get back on your feet, you may not like the accommodations much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">