• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Irene

I was married for 2 years. Almost 2 years ago I left my (abusive) husband. I got a lawyer. My husband had while married and separted a full-time job, but I made more money. Ever since I filed for divorce (2 yrs. ago) I have been paying $200.00/month to him. My lawyer said that the courts will force a divorce after 2 years, which will be coming up this January. Could you tell me if this is true? What do I have to do to make this come true? My lawyer has been terrible, not even calling me back. Please help with any answers or advice.

PA

LegalBeagle

Irene said:
I was married for 2 years. Almost 2 years ago I left my (abusive) husband. I got a lawyer. My husband had while married and separted a full-time job, but I made more money. Ever since I filed for divorce (2 yrs. ago) I have been paying $200.00/month to him. My lawyer said that the courts will force a divorce after 2 years, which will be coming up this January. Could you tell me if this is true? What do I have to do to make this come true? My lawyer has been terrible, not even calling me back. Please help with any answers or advice.

PA
Who ordered you to pay this support amount ? I mean, married for only two years and he had a full time job before, during and after.. During the married, did he support your education or career ?

I suggest you call a few other attorneys and get a second opinions.

I

Irene

Thanks

Thank you for such an incredibly quick response. I am impressed.

Is it worth it to look into another lawyer? I am asking because I was told by my lawyer that the courts will, by law, for the divorce after 2 years. I assume the money I have paid him is irreversible. I actually just want this over.

I was ordered to appear at the "Domestic Relations" office in my city. They said there is nothing they could do. He was entitled to the support. I graduated from college before I met him. The D. Relations office didn't even look at the bills (student loans, rent, etc.) that I paid during the marriage with my salary. Not his salary.

I never had any help from my lawyer. And I do not have the funds to invest in a new lawyer without some type of guarantee of success.

My biggest question is if it is true that the courts will force the divorce after 2 years. Thank you again.
(And sorry this is so long.)

LegalBeagle

Was the support payments COURT ORDERED ?? ie, do you have an order from a court, ie, a judge who told you to make those payments... WHO told you to pay him ?

I

Irene

Court Order

I had a court order to appear at the Domestic Relations Office. Then they worked out the figure I was to pay according to our salaries (only). A court order had the amount I was to pay each month and retro-active. My pay check is garnished $100.00 bi-monthly.

LegalBeagle

Re: Court Order

Irene said:
I had a court order to appear at the Domestic Relations Office. Then they worked out the figure I was to pay according to our salaries (only). A court order had the amount I was to pay each month and retro-active. My pay check is garnished $100.00 bi-monthly.
You need to have another attorney take a look at all your papers and get your divorce tied up. I can not believe you were ordered to pay support with the details you have given.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">