• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newgirl61

I have been divorced for 17 years after an abusive relationship. The court awarded me a portion of my ex-husband's pension which he has mailed to me via checks each month. He has just begun to receive Social Security at 62, He has informed me that my check amount will be reduced because his pension amount will be reduced due to his receiving Social Security at this time. He has not produced any paperwork for me. I contacted my original divorce attorney but haven't made much progress. Can this be true? Thanks for your consideration.

Just Blue

I have been divorced for 17 years after an abusive relationship. The court awarded me a portion of my ex-husband's pension which he has mailed to me via checks each month. He has just begun to receive Social Security at 62, He has informed me that my check amount will be reduced because his pension amount will be reduced due to his receiving Social Security at this time. He has not produced any paperwork for me. I contacted my original divorce attorney but haven't made much progress. Can this be true? Thanks for your consideration.
What state? What do you mean "haven't made much progress"?

LdiJ

There are some pensions that do end up being reduced due to SS benefits received. However, they are not very common and certainly there would be paperwork that would outline the changes. If your ex opts not to provide paperwork to prove the changes then you should of course file in court for contempt.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Much depends on how the order is written. Is it actually alimony you were awarded, or was it a property settlement, splitting his pension. Is he ordered to send a set amount each month, or give you a certain portion of the pension (i.e, via QDRO)? Of course, your lawyer would be in the best position to know that and explain it to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">