• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse immigration to US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Manta

What is the name of your state? CA originally. Now living in Australia where I have permanent residency based on de facto relationship of 6 years. We are married in eyes of Australian immigration and government. My question: What is definition of spouse in US immigration? If we have already proven relationship to australia will that be adequate to get my partner residency in the US or is a marriage certificate mandatory?
Cheers.

FarmerJ

You make referance to your PARTNER so if your partner is opposite sex of you and your married there should be no problem at all with the marriage being recognized anywhere . If your partner is same sex as you know in most places same sex marriage contracts are not recognized .

M

Manta

Sorry I wasn't more specific. My partner is of the opposite sex. We are not married in the sense of having marriage license or wedding. It is due to being together for 6 years, having property together etc. I think it is classed as 'common law' marriage in the US but I could have the term incorrect.

M

Manta

Actually that was my next step if I couldn't find the answer here.
I will try them tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">