• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse out on bail, can I keep her from taking money from our checking account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
What is the name of your state? NC

We're in Wake County, NC. My wife was arrested twice since September and I was the only victim on the second charge, thus no contact as a bail condition. She has found a way to get money from our checking account using her sister's facebook account, and before that cashed a large check that I wrote for her to get into a program to get help, and also got her car back because her sister was going to borrow it to bring her to the place to get help. They drove there, decided not to proceed, and now she's at her sister's house waiting for trial, and draining our bank account. I have our daughter, and I need money too. Can I call the bank and not allow her access to funds anymore? Is there any limit to the amount of funds she can take?


Senior Member
If it's a joint account it's as much hers as it is yours.

If you want to preserve your money, close the account and take all the money to a different bank.


Senior Member
Know that if you open a new acct as sole account user and the joint account gets fees for NSF / bounces and eventual that bank forcing the acct to be closed , etc created by soon to be exes use that you may have to live with the negative reports created by that account being forcibly closed , Yes you can pay off what ever fees that pile up on the old account and know that with the new account you may well have to stay with that new bank for a long time.


Senior Member
It sounds as if your problem is a lot more significant than merely the money in the existing bank account, and if I had to guess, it is questionable whether your marriage is going to be viable during the coming decade.

You may want to make a New Year's Resolution to consult -- on your own -- with a family law / divorce law attorney in your area (knowledge of local laws and judges is particularly valuable in matters such as yours) to have him or her explain what your rights are, what your alternatives are, and suggest what in his/her professional opinion might be the best course of conduct for you at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential