• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse won't sign papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This guy is being more than fair and has pretty much given her everything. She still won't sign.
She doesn't have to agree. It might be in her best interest to agree to his proposed settlement, but she doesn't have to sign.

If mediation fails and it goes to trial, the judges decision might be less generous to her.

Sounds like a contested divorce is on the horizon unless being served a summons to answer a divorce complaint snaps her into reality. And it could lengthy and expensive.
That's why those of us who have been through it laugh at those fools who think they're ready to move on when they haven't even started to go through that hell.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, of course! Now it all makes sense. How silly of me not to see it. Thanks for turning on the light.

You aren't merely a "friend'' of the guy with the alleged obstinate wife. You are the current "girlfriend" of the guy with the alleged obstinate wife.
It certainly makes more sense this way. I did think isis an odd handle for a dude. Be that as it may, whether @isis297 is simply a friend of the g/f or the g/f herself, it would behoove her to remember that she is only hearing one side of the story - possibly secondhand. The wife may have quite a different tale to tell. An outsider never really knows what goes on behind the scenes in a marriage. The truth is usually somewhere in between. I'll wager Mr. Wonderful isn't quite as blameless and put-upon as painted.

If mediation fails and it goes to trial, the judge's decision might be less generous to her.
Or it may be more generous. Depending on the real story and/or who presents it more effectively.

Bali Hai Again

It certainly makes more sense this way. I did think isis an odd handle for a dude. Be that as it may, whether @isis297 is simply a friend of the g/f or the g/f herself, it would behoove her to remember that she is only hearing one side of the story - possibly secondhand. The wife may have quite a different tale to tell. An outsider never really knows what goes on behind the scenes in a marriage. The truth is usually somewhere in between. I'll wager Mr. Wonderful isn't quite as blameless and put-upon as painted.

Or it may be more generous. Depending on the real story and/or who presents it more effectively.
Could very well be. A contested divorce is an expensive way to discover what "might" happen. Each of their lawyers should be able to counsel them generally where they are positioned on the playing field.

"When it comes to keeping score there are no winners, only degrees of losing". Danny DeVito "The War of the Roses"......

Litigator22

Could very well be. A contested divorce is an expensive way to discover what "might" happen. Each of their lawyers should be able to counsel them generally where they are positioned on the playing field.

"When it comes to keeping score there are no winners, only degrees of losing". Danny DeVito "The War of the Roses"......
"The reason divorces are so expensive is because they are worth it." Anon

"If you want to read about love and marriage, you've got to buy two books" Alan King

And lastly: "I hate quotations" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">