• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spped Light Camera ticket in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zoned

Got caught by the camera doing a 38 in a 25. Speed zone cameras are in effect on weekdays from 6AM to 10PM (under Section 1180-b of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law). The time it captured my license plate was after 9PM. I am planning to dispute it online and they're asking me to explain why the violation should be dismissed. Any advice on mentioning the calibration of the camera or the fact that an officer was not present during the incident?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Got caught by the camera doing a 38 in a 25. Speed zone cameras are in effect on weekdays from 6AM to 10PM (under Section 1180-b of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law). The time it captured my license plate was after 9PM. I am planning to dispute it online and they're asking me to explain why the violation should be dismissed. Any advice on mentioning the calibration of the camera or the fact that an officer was not present during the incident?
No. It does not matter that an officer was not present at the time of the incident.
Questioning the calibration is only useful if you honestly believe that the equipment has not been maintained and/or you were not speeding.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/1180-B

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Where was this, NYC??

It's a Notice of Liability so it's like a parking ticket. You don't have any defense that you have made us aware of.

Any advice on mentioning the calibration of the camera or the fact that an officer was not present during the incident?
Yes; don't.
Whatever your excuse the judge will have already heard it many many times in the past. And start talking about calibration or citing the laws will not impress the judge. If fact it may well have the opposite effect.
Pay the ticket. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">