• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mach1bailey

I have a friend (in Connecticut) who has a complicated situation. He had some musicians come play music with him at his house, they stopped playing together but they left a couple thousand dollars worth of gear in his basement. They say theyll pick it up but never do. What laws are in place that allow my friend to ideally keep the gear and own it. I had the advice given that if he sends them a text saying if they dont pick it up in a week (and they read it)then he gains ownership.

Just Blue

I have a friend (in Connecticut) who has a complicated situation. He had some musicians come play music with him at his house, they stopped playing together but they left a couple thousand dollars worth of gear in his basement. They say theyll pick it up but never do. What laws are in place that allow my friend to ideally keep the gear and own it. I had the advice given that if he sends them a text saying if they dont pick it up in a week (and they read it)then he gains ownership.
Please have your friend sign up and we will be happy to assist him. It's always better to deal with one of the legal parties.

Mach1bailey

You can't fix stupid. You can only be there to bail him out if he is arrested.
I have told him to figure out how to do this legally. I would let him figure it out himself but I am interested in buying the gear if he can get it legally so I am also somewhat invested

TigerD

..... but I am interested in buying the gear if he can get it legally so I am also somewhat invested
A person faces larceny by receiving stolen property if they receive, retain, or dispose of stolen property knowing that it has probably been stolen or believing that it has probably been stolen, unless the property is received, retained or disposed of with purpose to restore it to the owner.

Mach1bailey

A person faces larceny by receiving stolen property if they receive, retain, or dispose of stolen property knowing that it has probably been stolen or believing that it has probably been stolen, unless the property is received, retained or disposed of with purpose to restore it to the owner.
I am aware which is part of why I'm looking into how to go about this legally. Keep in mind they are not collecting their gear no matter what we try

adjusterjack

Abandoned property is a complicated matter (and sometimes costly). One doesn't just say "If you don't come get it, it's mine."

The following webpage from the state will give your friend some idea of what's is involved.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/abanprop.htm

He is welcome to go through the process which might not even result in him owning any of it or he can take the easy and common sense approach: Pack up the stuff and deliver it to wherever these people are located, then get on with his life.

justalayman

I believe these statutes apply to the situation

Sec. 50-2. Disposition of goods not perishable. All goods not perishable, left with any person or upon any public wharf or highway, and all goods, other than personal baggage of passengers, which are left at any railroad station or in any railroad car or carriage, and whose owner is unknown or neglects to take them away for six months from the time when they were left, shall be advertised one month in a newspaper published in the county where such goods were left. If the owner thereof does not take them away within such month, they may be sold and the proceeds disposed of in the manner provided in section 50-1.

Sec. 50-1. Disposition of perishable property. All goods of a perishable nature left with any person, when the owner is unknown or when the owner neglects to take them away after reasonable notice, shall be advertised at least one week in a newspaper published in the county where they were left; and, if not then claimed and taken away, may be sold at public auction, under the inspection of a state marshal of such county, and the proceeds of the sale, after deducting the expenses thereof and the charges for which they may be liable, shall be deposited with the treasurer of the town where they were left, who shall hold the same, subject to the provisions of part III of chapter 32.

I don’t see any way for you to own the items unless your friend eventually auctions them to the public and you are the high bidder. Your friend then has to deliver the proceeds to the state.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I have told him to figure out how to do this legally. I would let him figure it out himself but I am interested in buying the gear if he can get it legally so I am also somewhat invested
He could notify the owner(s),"My friend Bailey would like to buy x y z that you left at my place for $A. Would you be interested in selling it to him?"

Having a ready buyer (you) might inspire the owner's to either reclaim their gear or sell it to you.

That would be a legal way to buy the gear. And moral, too.

Unless you are only interested in buying the gear from your friend to help him out and get expensive gear dirt cheap...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I believe these statutes apply to the situation

Sec. 50-2. Disposition of goods not perishable. All goods not perishable, left with any person or upon any public wharf or highway, and all goods, other than personal baggage of passengers, which are left at any railroad station or in any railroad car or carriage, and whose owner is unknown or neglects to take them away for six months from the time when they were left, shall be advertised one month in a newspaper published in the county where such goods were left. If the owner thereof does not take them away within such month, they may be sold and the proceeds disposed of in the manner provided in section 50-1.

Sec. 50-1. Disposition of perishable property. All goods of a perishable nature left with any person, when the owner is unknown or when the owner neglects to take them away after reasonable notice, shall be advertised at least one week in a newspaper published in the county where they were left; and, if not then claimed and taken away, may be sold at public auction, under the inspection of a state marshal of such county, and the proceeds of the sale, after deducting the expenses thereof and the charges for which they may be liable, shall be deposited with the treasurer of the town where they were left, who shall hold the same, subject to the provisions of part III of chapter 32.

I don’t see any way for you to own the items unless your friend eventually auctions them to the public and you are the high bidder. Your friend then has to deliver the proceeds to the state.
What a bizarre way of doing things.

It seems odd that the onus would be on the person saddled with the abandoned property advertise for one month and arrange a public auction, and donate the proceeds to the town, with no hint of the private party getting anything positive out of the deal other than freed up space on their property.

I wonder if somewhere there are allowances to charge storage fees. :unsure:

As the OP said he wanted to keep the equipment, he can follow the statute and then buy it at the auction.
Might be best to contact the State Marshal and find out how it's done first.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Might be best to contact the State Marshal and find out how it's done first.
First of all, there is no such thing as THE Connecticut State Marshal. There are approximately 200 of them last I checked.

Secondly, the State Marshals' "primary duty is to serve and execute civil process directed to them from courts or various state agencies". That is basically all they do - at least the ones I have contact with.

First of all, there is no such thing as THE Connecticut State Marshal. There are approximately 200 of them last I checked.

Secondly, the State Marshals' "primary duty is to serve and execute civil process directed to them from courts or various state agencies". That is basically all they do - at least the ones I have contact with.
I was just quoting from the Section 50-1 that not2cleverRed posted in #12. I know it's under the perishable items part but I'm sure it would apply to the Section 50-2 as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">