• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squawters rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Featherwood

Squaters rights?

What is the name of your state? Washington

My mother and father-in-law own their home, there is a private gravel road on the side yard. From their fenceline to this road is 10 ft. that belongs to one of the neighbors. My inlaws have maintained and cared for this property for over 10 years.
The owner of the 10 ft. has threatened them off and on over the past 10+ years with taking their use of the 10 ft. away. My question is, do they (my inlaws) have some rights to this piece of property since they have done ALL of the up keep and maintenance? Is their some kind of "squaters rights" here?
:confused:

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Re: Squaters rights?

Featherwood said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My mother and father-in-law own their home, there is a private gravel road on the side yard. From their fenceline to this road is 10 ft. that belongs to one of the neighbors. My inlaws have maintained and cared for this property for over 10 years.
The owner of the 10 ft. has threatened them off and on over the past 10+ years with taking their use of the 10 ft. away. My question is, do they (my inlaws) have some rights to this piece of property since they have done ALL of the up keep and maintenance? Is their some kind of "squaters rights" here?
:confused:
**A: no, and can anyone tell us why?

H

hexeliebe

The only "squatter's rights" they have is if they have had too much coffee in the morning before going out to mow the grass and they can't make it back to the toilet.

In this case, they can squat all they want.

There is a simple solution. Tell mom and dad to quit maintaining this property, which, by the way, has never and will never belong to them unless they buy it.

Oh, and as for HG's question. You can answer it yourself by answering this question: Who has paid the taxes on this property and in who's name is the deed?

H

hexeliebe

I'm waiting to see if our poster comes back with anything regarding the word 'abandonment' in his response. In the meantime, I'll have another cup of coffee.

F

Featherwood

Gee thanks for the replies, but if I wanted sarcasm I would have asked a 12 year old.
I thought that this forum was for people like me, who DONT have all the answers, to be able to ask questions, and hopefully get answers, or at least directions as to where to look for an answer.
Once again, THANKS ALOT!!!:rolleyes:

H

hexeliebe

My, a bit testy are we? And even after you've been handed the answer on a silver ( o.k. brass) tray. Look, we can't know every little detail of your situation because we don't have ALL pertitent documents in front of us from which to offer a valid legal opinion.

So, unless you know your state's requirements for adverse possession or the requirements to list a piece of property as abandonned, you're getting nowhere.

And that is what we were trying to get you to do. Ask the right questions and come back with more information. If you're too damn lazy to do that, you don't deserve an answer.

H

hexeliebe

I guess this guy wouldn't know a legal opinion (albeit a valid one) if it bit him in his 'possession'.

H

hexeliebe

That's what I love about a farm, I have Squirter's AND squatter's RIGHTS!!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">