• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS and annulment from a Bigamist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darlene2014

In 1996 we were married in court. In 2008 I was granted a legal annulment by NYS Justice Supreme Ct. Judge since he was proven to be a bigamist. He remains married to his first (real) wife. Annulment papers state he has no claim to my pension (which I started collecting in 2012) or any other monies.

I will be getting SS benefits in a few months. He would be eligible for them in 3 years. Is there a way for me to make sure he does not apply for SS through me? Since he is so diabolical, I put nothing past him. He has my ss # in the annulment papers.

HRZ

You might consider the reverse...apparently as the not at faulty party the SSA will consider yours a deemed marriage. And since your deemed marriage lasted more than 10 years you are entitled to collect on his record ..and bank your own eligibility until you turn 70 at which time your benefits will peak. DO the math, it may be far more interesting than you think.

FlyingRon

It takes more than a SS# to get benefits. Annulled marriages do not permit spouse benefits (unlike divorces). In fact, the marriage was NEVER valid (even without the annullment). SS should check against NY records and catch this if he tries.

Of course, he can apply for benefits on the first wife's eligibility (unless he legally married someone).

Darlene2014

Thank you. I know it is 3 years away until he might apply but now that I will be receiving it, I was worried he would pull another scam.

Darlene2014

HRZ, that is interesting! He has never had a job that lasted more than a few months as he lives off of all the women he has scammed over the years. I am not even sure I am his only fake wife!

LdiJ

HRZ, that is interesting! He has never had a job that lasted more than a few months as he lives off of all the women he has scammed over the years. I am not even sure I am his only fake wife!
Please understand that even if he somehow managed to collect benefits based on your earnings record it would have absolutely no impact on you. I don't think that he has any chance of collecting on your record, but again, if it happens it won't impact you.

Darlene2014

Please understand that even if he somehow managed to collect benefits based on your earnings record it would have absolutely no impact on you. I don't think that he has any chance of collecting on your record, but again, if it happens it won't impact you.
Thanks! My issue is based on not wanting him to once again beat "the system" with one of his scams. Example: the court needed his real wife to sign a notarized statement that she is aware of the annulment due to bigamy. After I saw the document, I realized he forged his wife's name, and altered his mother-in-law's notary stamp, forging that signature. When I told my Attorney, he suggested I let it all go since this man is "mentally ill and dangerously capable of anything". 2 yrs later when he continued to email me at work, I wrote a simple letter to his wife, stating I would ask the court for a restraining order, included the annulment papers and mailed it to her place of work. I never heard from him again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">