• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ss disibility payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patc47

What is the name of your state? vermont
My son has been on disability ss for at least four years due to mental problems.
He has a great deal of trouble holding a job for long. He is 30 years old and is constantly moving around giving his things away. It is very heart breaking.,when his illness strikes him it comes in waves and he leaves his job and the town he is living in. He did not report to social secriuty that he worked off and on. Now social secriuty said that he has to pay back 17,000 dollars to them in 400 dollar montly payments. Can he pay them fifty dollars a month? Is there anything else he can do? Can I as his mother do anything? All I hear is that he is an adult I can't force him to get help and he doesnt believe he needs medication. Will he go to jail? What will happen to him. Can I call and speak to ss myself and plead his case????

worried MOM

BL

patc47 said:
What is the name of your state? vermont
My son has been on disability ss for at least four years due to mental problems.
He has a great deal of trouble holding a job for long. He is 30 years old and is constantly moving around giving his things away. It is very heart breaking.,when his illness strikes him it comes in waves and he leaves his job and the town he is living in. He did not report to social secriuty that he worked off and on. Now social secriuty said that he has to pay back 17,000 dollars to them in 400 dollar montly payments. Can he pay them fifty dollars a month? Is there anything else he can do? Can I as his mother do anything? All I hear is that he is an adult I can't force him to get help and he doesnt believe he needs medication. Will he go to jail? What will happen to him. Can I call and speak to ss myself and plead his case????

worried MOM
You could represent him . You could go down to your nearest SSA Office and ask to speak to a Representative about his issues .

It sounds like he should have had a Payee .

The payback all depends on how much he earned and for how long of a period of time . Generally over 840 per month for a period of time is considered gainful Employment that makes one ineligible .

Ask the rep. to look up his work history and how much he earned .

You could ask for a reconsideration and waiver , but it might not be granted .

See if they can reduced the debts and payments .

Try to get your son's approval to represent him , otherwise you could argue he was not competent to handle his SSA affairs , maybe .

But if he's been working and handling his monies , that might not fly .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">