• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS#, SSI & my child's SS Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popeye23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I want to open a custodial brokerage account for my foreign born child 2 yrs old, who is a US citizen via "consular report of birth", but doesn't have a SS# yet. My child does not reside in the US. I am also receiving both Social Security Disability and SSI. I am thinking to apply and get my child a SS#. Naturally I have to give mine as well. SSA is not aware I have a child or even that I am married.
If I apply for my child's SS#, will this give cause for a "review" of myself, or raise any red
flags? To put it another way, on a percentage basis what are the odds of this causing a problem?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I want to open a custodial brokerage account for my foreign born child 2 yrs old, who is a US citizen via "consular report of birth", but doesn't have a SS# yet. My child does not reside in the US. I am also receiving both Social Security Disability and SSI. I am thinking to apply and get my child a SS#. Naturally I have to give mine as well. SSA is not aware I have a child or even that I am married.
If I apply for my child's SS#, will this give cause for a "review" of myself, or raise any red
flags? To put it another way, on a percentage basis what are the odds of this causing a problem?
So you are receiving SS benefits that you may not be entitled to , and you want to know the % that this would cause a problem ?

Follow the rules for receiving benefits .

popeye23

Thanks for the moral lesson and borrowed quotation, it's cute -:)
but at the risk of being redundent I repeat my question
once again:
" on a percentage basis what are the odds of this causing a problem?"

NRH81

The SSA does like to nitpick so be careful. The things you mentioned are not good and be found out very easily. It's nearly impossible to calculate the odds of them finding out, but the odds are not in your favor. They care a lot about family income, household size, and liquid assets. If you've mislead the SSA diliberately, you could be in a world of hurt. It really depends on many factors. The fact is, they will eventually review your case file and the cat will be out of the bag no matter what. The best thing to do is to be as forthcoming as possible. The longer you let it go, the worse it will get.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You came to a legal advice forum asking how to commit fraud. The people here (those that matter) won't be a part of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">