• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS Survivor Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimee129

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
I have looked on the SS website and have found information regarding a child that is already receiving survivor benefits being adopted. My question is...I adopted my nephew. My sister passed away last week. Is he still entitled to her benefits? There are 4 children total all under the age of 18. They are dispersed with several different families. I am the "go to" person for the family and am covering the funeral expenses. I have an appointment next week with SS, but just trying to get information now. Thank you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
I have looked on the SS website and have found information regarding a child that is already receiving survivor benefits being adopted. My question is...I adopted my nephew. My sister passed away last week. Is he still entitled to her benefits? There are 4 children total all under the age of 18. They are dispersed with several different families. I am the "go to" person for the family and am covering the funeral expenses. I have an appointment next week with SS, but just trying to get information now. Thank you.
I don't think so. I know that if the children are already receiving survivor's benefits prior to the adoption, that they get to keep those benefits afterwards, however, you adopted the child before your sister passed away, therefore at the time of her death he was not her child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">