• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rdk1421

What is the name of your state? texas

my social security insurance disability claim was recently denied and i am now in the reconsideration phase. i have contacted two attorneys who want to represent me on a contingency basis. However, both of them were quick to assert that the reconsideration phase was also doomed prefunctorialy. If that's the case, then how or why should i let them represent me until the process gets further up the ladder. It seems to me that i probably do as good a job at this stage as they can, particularly in view of the fact that they get paid more as the case drags out. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

ALawyer

Sometimes the truth is hard to take. But despite the bit of paranoia I detect (suggesting the attorneys want to drag it out so their contingent fee goes up) you got the truth, as supported by statistics.

Reconsideration of SS cases sends it back to the same folks who made the initial rejection, and typically the decision is based on the same "evidence" andoverwhelmingly produces the same result.

On appeal the lawyer tries to get new evidence in the record and has the entire record, as supplemented, considered by a more-or-less independent Administrative Law Judge.

C

CIAA

I thought that an attorney must file with SSD to represent someone and that their fees are capped at a maximium.... I believe the new cap is $5,500.

Am I missing something or what?

R

rdk1421

U r right about the cap. However, an individual can persue the appeals process all the way to the supreme court, though it would definitely be unadvisable.

L

ladyc4

It's pretty common for an SSD case to go to the hearing stage, and yes, the attorney is limited to a percentage,and the actual dollar amount is capped. And I doubt that the SSA will pay more than one attorney. So pick one and let him or her get started.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">