• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI working abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epatssd

What country?

The question was answered "in general" in the IRS link I provided.
I don't think it was answered completely. I read that when you apply for disability the SSA is notified of any wages you have made in a totalization agreement country. The wages in the totalization agreement country can be combined with U.S wages to get a U.S benefit. It says once you are approved that the benefit in the U.S wouldn't increase by additional wages worked in a totalization country. It sounds like once your are approved the notification between the two countries stops. You can apply for a disability benefit in the totalization country after applying for SSDI in the U.S. It would be helpful to clarify if additional wages in a totalization country would increase the benefit in the U.S and how they account for this. Also, I don't know if the SSA or the IRS is notified of wages worked in a totalization country any times you do not apply for benefits. I'm wondering if a CDR review also triggers this or if there is any communication between the two countries.

In general I would like to know how the IRS handles people working overseas. If you can add more than that feel free.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

I'm OK if there isn't anyone. I never said I guaranteed there would be.
Here's the answer you are looking for:

"I worked in other countries for many years while collecting SSDI. I never reported my income to SSA or IRS and none of my employers did. I never paid taxes on the income and never lost any SSDI benefits."

Are you really naïve enough to think there is somebody out there who will say that to you?

If somebody does say it, what good does it do you? What's your goal? Why even ask unless you are looking to justify concealing income? If you aren't planning to conceal income, why waste our time on the topic since you are going to report your income anyway?

epatssd

No, that's not the answer I am looking for. There is no income tax consideration here in my example. So, I don't know why people keep bringing that up. That's not the response I am looking for but a reconciliation between the two countries would be helpful. It might increase a social security benefit in the U.S. If someone forgets to report their income I am interested in the effects. I never considered the employers reporting the income to the IRS. I am interested to know if they do that. I would like to know this information so maybe I can provide advice in the future on the consequences rather than not being able to find the answer.

Someone could redirect me to a citation explaining what happens without even making this personal for their situation or to an article. Basically, all the articles say SSDI is collectable in foreign countries. It doesn't really have a lot of people saying they did that.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This forum does not do hypotheticals. Unless you have an actual situation for which you can provide actual facts, this is not the purpose of the forum.

quincy

... I would like to know this information so maybe I can provide advice in the future on the consequences rather than not being able to find the answer.
You do not appear to be in any position to provide advice to others in the future. You apparently haven't read or understood the information from the link.

If you are not employed outside the US and you are simply looking for a discussion of what-ifs, this forum will not be of much help to you. We are not a discussion forum and we do not entertain hypotheticals.

If you work outside the US and you failed to pay, or your foreign employer failed to pay, required taxes, penalties can be assessed. Particulars matter.

epatssd

Don't worry about that. Basically, you looked at what I wrote and took one thing to try to discredit me. You haven't provided any value to this thread so I don't even see why anyone is responding without being able to answer the questions I asked. I really should ignore because my time is being wasted by people that don't have anything of value to contribute and are dragging their feet to discredit me and accuse me of fraud. I didn't expect such rude behavior in a disability conversation.

You have not explained anything at the link. And, posted an IRS link. Basically, the only reason you are doing that is because you don't know the answer to my questions.

Last edited:

quincy

Don't worry about that. Basically, you looked at what I wrote and took one thing to try to discredit me. You haven't provided any value to this thread so I don't even see why anyone is responding without being able to answer the questions I asked.
WARNING. CAP LOCK HARASSMENT AHEAD!

YOUR QUESTION WAS ANSWERED.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That seems like abusive behavior.
Well, considering that you are asking about SSDI for someone with the ability to work, I find that to be abusive.

I am curious. This person, who has qualified for SSDI, wishes to leave the US for employment in another country. If this person is not a citizen of this undisclosed country, then in order to legally work there they would need a work visa.

epatssd

You can work without working SGA on disability. Thank you for the input. Sorry, you are upset about disability.

quincy

Thanks for chimming in with pointless facts that are irrelevant.
Go to the link provided. Click on "International Agreements." Find the country of interest. Read. Learn.

Without the country name, or the specifics (of which you apparently have none), you must research on your own or find an attorney in your area to assist you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks for chimming in with pointless facts that are irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant.

Work visas have a paper trail. You asked how it would be known by the SSA/IRS... well, having a work visa can be a start.

On the other hand, working in another country without abiding by that country's laws (a foreign national working, with no work visa) can get that person in trouble in that country. Like, a ban from reentering that country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">