• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI and A Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Round_&_Round

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have SSI Disability and I also have a Special Needs Trust. I have called SSI concerning my monthly SSI Disability amount and if there will be a change on account of the Special Needs Trust?

For some reason I am getting conflicting answers whenever I had called about this question. I was getting answers stating that I would loose my SSI entirely and another answer was that my monthly SSI income would be considerably less. On one other occasion I was also told that there would not be any change at all!

I do however have a family member holding the Special Needs Trust for me "legally" but I don't know if that would be in my favor.

FlyingRon

Absent knowing what the trust is paying out (and for what) we can't tell you. However, when something (a trust, relatives, etc...) do pay any portion of your living expenses (food, shelter, etc...) it will impact your SSI. Just having the trust doesn't change things. Getting money from it (or having money paid towards your costs) does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">