• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI and Social Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

OK One more question.
I own a house. I am just 61. Is there a time frame for when I can stop SSI and sell my house, live off the money from the house until I am 70?

FlyingRon

OK One more question.
I own a house. I am just 61. Is there a time frame for when I can stop SSI and sell my house, live off the money from the house until I am 70?
Nope. Once you sell the house and have more than $2000 in non-protected assets, you cease to be eligible to get SSI (and you better tell them because they will come after you for the money erroneously paid when they find out you were not eligible).

Nobody is FORCED to take SSI.

What you should not do is continue to take SSI payments after you are 62 if you want to avoid starting to take retirement benefits.

LdiJ

Nope. Once you sell the house and have more than $2000 in non-protected assets, you cease to be eligible to get SSI (and you better tell them because they will come after you for the money erroneously paid when they find out you were not eligible).

Nobody is FORCED to take SSI.

What you should not do is continue to take SSI payments after you are 62 if you want to avoid starting to take retirement benefits.
Which means notifying them that you wish to stop receiving SSI well before you turn 62. If you are 61 now, that would mean getting the house sold ASAP.

What you also need to consider is whether or not the cost of different housing is worth the extra couple of hundred dollars that you would receive in retirement benefits when you turn 70.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">