• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI backpay Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsparks

I don't know how this forum stuff works. I'm not computer literate, really. I really need to know the laws concerning SSI backpay in the State of Virginia. Do I have to account for the monies spent? Why does it have to spent so fast anyway?

doucar

Assuming your benefits are SSI and not SSD, The reason it has to be spent "so fast" is that it becomes an asset in determining if you remain eligible for SSI or Medicaid. In any month you have more than $2000.00 in non-exempt assets, you are not eligible for SSI or Medicaid. This is not just a Virginia requirement, but a national one.

dsparks

Yes, SSI backpay can be used to pay legitimate debts.
Thank you for this information. My parents and I had a verbal agreement, that is I'd pay back monies they paid out for my car repairs and insurance and maintenance since I moved into their home where I also pay rent for a room, which is 500.00$ a month which also began when I was awarded SSID...
I have invoices for the auto and insurance companies to show proof of the repairs and insurance premiums paid out. With those documents, and a notarized letter from my Mother, will Social Security accept this as acceptable legitimate debt?
Lastly, my last check should be around 10,000.,. am I able to purchase a trailer? I don't qualify for government housing/apartments because I am a felon, my conviction was for drugs... possession, and secondly, I have a bad credit report..
I'd like to chip away at those debts as well. But first things first.
Another part of our verbal agreement is that I have to be out of their house before January 2019.
So my questions are:
Are my documents and the letter "legitimate debt"!?
And, lastly, can I purchase a trailer/mobile home with the last backpay in November?
Thanking you in advance,
I am,
Sincerely,
[email protected]
Richmond Virginia

LdiJ

Thank you for this information. My parents and I had a verbal agreement, that is I'd pay back monies they paid out for my car repairs and insurance and maintenance since I moved into their home where I also pay rent for a room, which is 500.00$ a month which also began when I was awarded SSID...
I have invoices for the auto and insurance companies to show proof of the repairs and insurance premiums paid out. With those documents, and a notarized letter from my Mother, will Social Security accept this as acceptable legitimate debt?
Lastly, my last check should be around 10,000.,. am I able to purchase a trailer? I don't qualify for government housing/apartments because I am a felon, my conviction was for drugs... possession, and secondly, I have a bad credit report..
I'd like to chip away at those debts as well. But first things first.
Another part of our verbal agreement is that I have to be out of their house before January 2019.
So my questions are:
Are my documents and the letter "legitimate debt"!?
And, lastly, can I purchase a trailer/mobile home with the last backpay in November?
Thanking you in advance,
I am,
Sincerely,
[email protected]
Richmond Virginia
Yes, those are legitimate debts and of course you can use the money to get housing.

HRZ

Yes, but be careful about sitting on sums in excess of the allowed max , apparently $2000, while awaiting purchase of things or places or payment of debt .double check the rules with those more knowledgeable than I am. You might be in a risky position to have $8000 in the bank while on a long search for a great trailer deal. I'm not suggesting rush and buy a bad trailer ..

And for other reasons, oral agreements to pay past expenses are unreliable for everyone involved...safer to have clear written agreements ...a unilateral statement as to,debt may not be a mutual agreement to pay

A long while back when I scanned the rules , the eligibility issue seemed to be sitting on excess counted funds ...not how carefully you spent your money or your debt situation ....double check.

LdiJ

Yes, but be careful about sitting on sums in excess of the allowed max , apparently $2000, while awaiting purchase of things or places or payment of debt .double check the rules with those more knowledgeable than I am. You might be in a risky position to have $8000 in the bank while on a long search for a great trailer deal. I'm not suggesting rush and buy a bad trailer ..

And for other reasons, oral agreements to pay past expenses are unreliable for everyone involved...safer to have clear written agreements ...a unilateral statement as to,debt may not be a mutual agreement to pay

A long while back when I scanned the rules , the eligibility issue seemed to be sitting on excess counted funds ...not how carefully you spent your money or your debt situation ....double check.
The OP has SSDI. You are talking about the rules for SSI.

Janke

For SSI back pay, you have 9 months following the month of receipt for the money to count toward the $2000 limit. So there is quite a bit of time to make a good decision.

SSI recipients are allowed to own their home, mobile, stick or other; and it is excluded from the $2000 limit for as long as the SSI recipient lives in the house. And you can pay valid debt with your SSI. If you buy a mobile home, bring all the documents to your local office when you report the address change. They should ask you how you pay your utility bills and any space rent also. You should be listed then as a homeowner, not a renter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">