• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI Funds are being abused and being manipulated held back from being my own representative payee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Recon86

If you are locked out, call the police. While they are unlikely to get you back into the house, they can get you to a place of safety until you get a court order. If you are in danger, the police might even remove the person threatening you so you can get an order of protection.

Unfortunately, you have a lot of issues colliding. I hope you can find a family member or other advocate to assist you. If you are a member of a religious group, contact the leader of it. Many have resources among their congregations that could be of help.
I don't have any help or caring family members, alot of them and self centered. Why would they be unlikely to get me back in? The property isn't in her name and it's not on the deed.

Recon86

Our mobile health unit deals with people in crisis and may take the person to a health care facility if the person needs inpatient care. They would also be able to assess the conditions at the caller's location so that if someone there is aggravating the situation they could take additional action (such as a APS referral or the police if the the caller is in danger).

I believe your first action is to call the Philly group to which I referred you in an earlier post to see what they can do to help. Please post back if you do not get satisfactory answers to your questions and referrals to immediate assistance. Your report that you are being denied access to proper food preparation is a serious concern.

You realize, I am sure, that the issue is that your mother has access to your SSI and is using it to support the family. In my community there are (too limited IMO) supportive living communities for the disabled where the people have their own apartments and there are social services on site (These likely include assistance in locating appropriate employment). It is my understanding that the rents are based on income. When the only income is SSI, the rent would be very small. In a city your size, thre should be something similar so inquire of the various agencies.
I'll call them as well, I have to go outside to talk on the phone they will eavesdrop. The supports coordinator is trying for life sharing services, I'll search for supportive living communities.

Well, the whole point was to have my own account since she broke my trust and I don't feel comfortable with someone who doesn't want to communicate with me when I ask about what's spent or withdrawn out of the account and then be condescending about it. I've been trying to build on making my own self employment by utilizing my graphic design skills into making decals and shirts decorative apparel and felt that my mother was going to be an issue with being able to succeed doing that, or any kind of employment. I just wanted to support the household like one normally would do, but just as my own representative payee. Plus I don't agree with how she is handling the living situation, the house has the electrical panel exposed to the elements due to the porch being broken and she has a tendency to act on things when she feels like it and it's a long story but things really didn't have to be the way they are if she handled things better. So I just wanted to build on my own financial independence and eventually move out when able. She probably doesn't want me to because with 4 beneficiaries she can get just about 4,000 an month.

t74

If there is a dangerous situation at the house, report it to the city. I do not know enough about your area to give you the name of the department. They do investigate things like the safety of electric service to the house.

Read this if you already have not: https://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqbene.htm

You should ask for an accounting. If the others for whom your mother is the payee and they all are unhappy and adults, you all should ask as a group by submitting individual information in the same envelope. If others are also being neglected, point this out to APS.

Recon86

If there is a dangerous situation at the house, report it to the city. I do not know enough about your area to give you the name of the department. They do investigate things like the safety of electric service to the house.

Read this if you already have not: https://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqbene.htm

You should ask for an accounting. If the others for whom your mother is the payee and they all are unhappy and adults, you all should ask as a group by submitting individual information in the same envelope. If others are also being neglected, point this out to APS.
I believe that would be 311. I think they would throw everyone out if I called them. So call SSA directly and ask for accounting? Is that better than the office of inspector general? The abuse is focused on me.

t74

I do not know the procedures for reporting safety issues in your city.

Call the SSI help line for advice in getting the accountings.

Janke

There are businesses, payee agencies, that will manage your money and be your rep payee for a small monthly fee. These payee agencies are bonded and insured and are routinely audited. They will put you on a budget. Generally they write a check for the rent and then give you spending money throughout the month. SSA can give you a list.

Your mother will be upset. She may not let you live with her any more. Maybe that is a good thing. Maybe the best thing.

If your treating doctor agrees that you are able to manage your own money, SSA will let you be your own payee. What does your treating doctor say?

Some communities have homeless outreach programs that might be able to help you get your own place. Maybe get a good social worker. You might be able to find a room to rent in someone else's house for a short term or get on a list for public housing.

It is not going to be simple and your mother may never forgive you. You have to decide if it is worth it.

Recon86

There are businesses, payee agencies, that will manage your money and be your rep payee for a small monthly fee. These payee agencies are bonded and insured and are routinely audited. They will put you on a budget. Generally they write a check for the rent and then give you spending money throughout the month. SSA can give you a list.

Your mother will be upset. She may not let you live with her any more. Maybe that is a good thing. Maybe the best thing.

If your treating doctor agrees that you are able to manage your own money, SSA will let you be your own payee. What does your treating doctor say?

Some communities have homeless outreach programs that might be able to help you get your own place. Maybe get a good social worker. You might be able to find a room to rent in someone else's house for a short term or get on a list for public housing.

It is not going to be simple and your mother may never forgive you. You have to decide if it is worth it.
UPDATE: My mother stole items from me and messed with my personal computer. I confronted her with this over FB messenger. She and my younger brother came to me in my room and he got into an shouting match with me and attacked me. As he started to do so she tried to use her personal pepper spray to attack me as well, I happened to grab it from her shortly and tried to use it defensively but she got it back. She had extensively pepper sprayed me in the eyes and was now attacking me along with my brother I had to fight them off as were trying to pin me down and she called upon my other siblings to attack me and block my exit from the room, one armed with an hammer. I fought thru them and ran out the house. I got help from one neighbor and went to the corner store and got water to help with the masse. The police found me I cooperated they said they detained me but they lied I told them my story but the department didn't let me and I took issue with them having my SSI number being discussed around other people who were "detained" there.

t74

Did you have any charges filed against you? If so, pursue getting a legal aid attorney to make sure any court actions are handled.

It is in your best interest to get out of the house. A homeless shelter is at least safe. Many shelters have social workers to help locate appropriate resources. Find someone to take care of your valuables and take the clothes you need to survive. The police can protect you when you go to pick your things up if you are afraid of the people at the house.

You really meed professional help to get your money placed where you have access to it and to find the support services you need to live elsewhere,

Recon86

Did you have any charges filed against you? If so, pursue getting a legal aid attorney to make sure any court actions are handled.

It is in your best interest to get out of the house. A homeless shelter is at least safe. Many shelters have social workers to help locate appropriate resources. Find someone to take care of your valuables and take the clothes you need to survive. The police can protect you when you go to pick your things up if you are afraid of the people at the house.

You really meed professional help to get your money placed where you have access to it and to find the support services you need to live elsewhere,
I have 4 charges against me. I'm in respite care right now. Trying to get police to help with getting my stuff I'm actually don't feel comfortable setting foot in the house to retrieve my stuff. Thankfully I got PLA involved and the conflict of interest resolved so they can help now. I plan to press charges, this was so planned by my mother, I didn't expect her to do this at all. She/They broke my stuff I'm really pissed now, going to screw her into the dirt with the law to the best of my ability.

Last edited:

t74

It will take time, I believe your efforts will be successful in the end. Be sure to use the resources of your state's disability employment services agency (Vocational rehabilitation as it is often called). Think of how great it would be to be self sufficient and not depend on SSI and payees.

Another organization in my area that is very helpful is Goodwill. They coudld help you establish a work history even if not in your desired area of eventual employment. I recall you mention graphic arts. See if there are volunteer opportunities using your talents. Someone may be impressed and it lead to a paying job.

Janke

There should be a bonded representative payee agency that services your particular zip code. Your local office can provide a list or give you a phone number or two (or more if you are in a larger metro area). While you are in this interim period, one of the first priorities would be to get your mother removed as representative payee. One of these agencies could then manage your money while you are getting all of your other problems resolved. If you have access to a social worker, you should ask for a referral or recommendation. The payee agency can be a short term solution to protecting your future income while a review is done of what your mother has done.

Janke

And, if you are incarcerated for a period of a calendar month, you are not eligible for SSI for that month or until the day you get out of jail, prorated at an already reduced amount. Doesn't matter if you have to pay rent and other bills. Hope you get through this without too much fallout.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">