• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ssi letter computer matching state wage report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dimeo782006

I received an ssi letter asking for my husband's paystubs. The top of the letter says computer matching state wage report. Our son is on ssi for autism. Nothing had changed. I don't understand this. It has me worried.

FlyingRon

I received an ssi letter asking for my husband's paystubs. The top of the letter says computer matching state wage report. Our son is on ssi for autism. Nothing had changed. I don't understand this. It has me worried.
SSI is income based. They are entitled to verify income. Further, I can't see the letter, but they may be trying to determine if there are SSDI benefits.

Onderzoek

Have you been reporting your husband's wages regularly or not? Like every month?

As one of the stewardship responsibilities, SSI gets regular interfaces with other government agencies. The IRS, your state, VA, etc. Employers report wages once a year to the IRS when a W2 is issued, but they report quarterly to the state. Those quarterly reports to the state are compared (electronically) with the wages posted to the SSI record. And when these two numbers are out of sync, either too high or too low, it creates an alert that your local office is supposed to resolve.

If wages have not been reported regularly, then there is a good likelihood of an overpayment (and a small chance of an underpayment). There is a Mobile Wage Reporting ap you can download to your smart phone to report wages or a Telephone Wage Reporting program that allows you to talk to the computer directly.

Any financial transaction that generates a 1099 will also eventually be included in an alert sent to SSI.

By the time an alert is generated and reviewed by the local office, the transaction is often months and months or even over a year old. So it is a bad idea to wait for the alerts to be generated as a way of reporting events.

commentator

Yes yes yes! This is exactly what I keep trying to explain to people about unemployment fraud and wage reporting for the unemployment system. It does absolutely no good to try to fudge or deceive, as long as you are submitting anything anywhere, getting paid anything anywhere, filing taxes, eventually they will cross match it and everything will turn up and show up. And it does no good to get an attorney or make excuses or try to avoid paying, or try to defend yourself against what has happened, because chances are very good that it did happen. Usually that will not be in your favor, but sometimes, there may have actually been over reporting of your wages or something. At this point they are just investigating. Even if you've been lying big time, no fraud charges are likely to be leveled as long as you cooperate with the investigation. If you are official charged with anything in court, not by the agency, at that point you need an attorney, but not during the investigation.

OP there is no point in worrying. But immediately act on the information you have received, show up where you have been asked to with as many of your husband's paystubs as you are able. If they tell you that you have underreported, you cannot undo what you have already done. But bite the bullet, learn better, take their advice on exactly when and how to report and do better in the future.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">