• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI & LTD, insurance co. says Dad cant draw both????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mistme

Texas.
My Dad is 66 and has been drawing SS for 1 year. In Oct. of 2000 he had to have both his knees replaced (at the same time)He has not worked since and been on STD and now LTD.
After his surgery the company he's worked for for the past 11 years, decided to terminate him. He is still paying for his med insurance thru cobra.(including LTD)
A few days ago he got a call from the insurance co. a new
girl has been assigned to his case. She informed him he was not going to be able to draw his LTD and SS and that he may even have to pay back some of the money LTD has paid him.
My question is, how can they not pay him LTD just because he is drawing his social security? espeically when he is STILL paying for LTD with his insurance through COBRA???
and if they can stop paying LTD can they make him pay any monies back????

B

Betsey

LTD and SS

First I am not an attorney. I am a recipient of SS and LTD in another state. I am under 65. You need to read the LTD policy book very carefully. It may stipulate that LTD ends at 65. It may also be the case that the LTD benefit is offset(reduced) by any SS payments. I know this only because I went through it myself.I was also receiving SS for my dependents. My LTD tried to offset my LTD benefit by thier SS as well. I got an attorney and then ended up calling the state department of insurance to investigate it. The state found the LTD at fault and they could NOT reduce the benefit except for my SS. All I can say is read the policy book VERY CAREFULLY. A lot is in theiir wording. It is very confusing to a lay person, I know. good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">