• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ssi overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashleyedwards25

What is the name of your state? California. I have a question. I was told that I owe 221.25 and so the office had already withheld 10 percent of my money. So I called the debt management on April 4 to tell them I didn’t feel comfortable sending in my debit card information can I pay it over the phone the lady said yes. I paid the balance 128.08 meaning I am done owning them. They still withhold another 10 percent which may my money short this month. What should I do?

Janke

Your refund/remittance has to clear through the US Treasury before SSI will remove the decision to collect the overpayment through check recovery. So SSI is always behind on fixing this. You should call your local office and ask to speak to someone who knows how to resolve this. Not all employees do. You could try calling Debt Management, but I am not certain they have the knowledge for this.

If you didn't like the 10% recovery from your checks, you could have requested 100% recovery out of your checks. Works a little bit better on the SSI system than refunds that does not use current technology.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">