• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI vs Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shortstuff916

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So my mother is on SSI & Medical. My dad is trying to settle a child support case and needs my mother to waive any money that is owed to her. She wants to do it, but she is worried that she can lose her SSI and/or Medical. By her waiving money owed to her, can that change anything with her SSI/Medical?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So my mother is on SSI & Medical. My dad is trying to settle a child support case and needs my mother to waive any money that is owed to her. She wants to do it, but she is worried that she can lose her SSI and/or Medical. By her waiving money owed to her, can that change anything with her SSI/Medical?
This is really none of your business. Let mom and dad deal with this on their own.

Shortstuff916

This is really none of your business. Let mom and dad deal with this on their own.
It actually is my business. My mother is mentally disabled and I'm in charge of making desicions for her. I'm 34, not a child. There is more to the story. Just need legal advise not smart remarks. :mad:

LdiJ

It actually is my business. My mother is mentally disabled and I'm in charge of making desicions for her. I'm 34, not a child. There is more to the story. Just need legal advise not smart remarks. :mad:
I apologize for that happening to you. We are so accustomed to adult children (or siblings or parents) butting into other adult's business and not having enough information to really accurately answer questions that we tend to forget that sometimes its not actually butting in.

Why is your father trying to settle the child support case? What is the backstory there? Since you are in charge of making decisions for her do you really believe that it is in HER best interest to waive the arrears? Since you are making decisions for a disabled person you cannot take your father's best interest into consideration at all, only your mother's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">