• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Staff meeting about my performance…

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arkera

California

I was told to work from home this morning because the rest of the office was having an All Staff meeting that didn’t pertain to me.

I got in this afternoon and was told that among other issues, our boss entertained an entire hour of discussing my performance with the entire staff, and admitted he didn’t invite me because he knew this would be a topic.

Why am I singled out? I’m the only person of my kind in this office. I am the administrator. I handle payroll and billing and a million other paperwork, taxes, etc duties that the others have zero overlap. I replaced someone who apparently did it way differently, and their gripes aren’t anything discipline worthy, but hateful nit-picking. The boss heavily implied that there was something wrong with me and said it was a “tricky situation” that he’s handling.

My potential performance issues aside, is this kind of meeting crossing a line? Not a litigious line (I’m absolutely not looking for a lawsuit even if it met that threshold) but a “you need to report this” kind of line?

quincy

California

I was told to work from home this morning because the rest of the office was having an All Staff meeting that didn’t pertain to me.

I got in this afternoon and was told that among other issues, our boss entertained an entire hour of discussing my performance with the entire staff, and admitted he didn’t invite me because he knew this would be a topic.

Why am I singled out? I’m the only person of my kind in this office. I am the administrator. I handle payroll and billing and a million other paperwork, taxes, etc duties that the others have zero overlap. I replaced someone who apparently did it way differently, and their gripes aren’t anything discipline worthy, but hateful nit-picking. The boss heavily implied that there was something wrong with me and said it was a “tricky situation” that he’s handling.

My potential performance issues aside, is this kind of meeting crossing a line? Not a litigious line (I’m absolutely not looking for a lawsuit even if it met that threshold) but a “you need to report this” kind of line?
From what you describe, it does not appear to be a “you need to report this” matter. What it appears to be is an issue you should address personally with your boss.

Who spoke to you about what was discussed in the staff meeting? And why?

arkera

It was one of my coworkers giving me a “heads-up” because the majority of the conversation was driven by one particularly ambitious employee who has tried hard to get me fired in the past.

Just Blue

California

Is this the same company from last year:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/ada-accommodation-ptsd-overlooked.659635/

quincy

It was one of my coworkers giving me a “heads-up” because the majority of the conversation was driven by one particularly ambitious employee who has tried hard to get me fired in the past.
I recommend you do not discuss what you learned about the staff meeting with any of your coworkers, including discussing it any further with the one who told you what was said at the meeting. That employee might have ambitions of his/her own.

I see a couple of options. You can set up a meeting with your boss (at a time convenient for your boss) if you want to discuss your job performance, leaving out of the discussion what you heard about the staff meeting and leaving out the names or suspected motives of any of your coworkers. Just ask your boss if s/he is satisfied with the work you are doing so far.

Or you can simply return to doing your job. If you experience any problems (from your boss or coworkers), you could set up a meeting with your boss at that time.

If you recently took over a position once filled by someone who was well-liked by the boss and coworkers, there is bound to be an adjustment period. Perhaps this is just a matter of everyone trying to adjust to your way of doing things.

edit to add: I just read the thread linked to by Just Blue. Is this the same employer? If so, you should refer back to the information offered you previously.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I do not necessarily agree with or approve the actions taken in the staff meeting, nothing you have posted suggests that any laws or protected rights have been violated. That being the case there is no overseeing agency to report it to. While it's possible that good taste and professionalism may have been violated, they are not regulated or legislated.

If this is the same company as in your previous thread, then I'm afraid I don't see any options for you. If you've moved on, then HR is a possibility but even HR is not going to be obligated to take any action on your behalf.

zddoodah

Why am I singled out?
That's a great question for your boss but a terrible question for a bunch of strangers on an internet message board.

I’m the only person of my kind in this office.
Please clarify exactly what this means.

The boss heavily implied that there was something wrong with me and said it was a “tricky situation” that he’s handling.
Please clarify (as best you can) exactly what this means.

is this kind of meeting crossing a line?
I don't know. There's nothing illegal about a bunch of employees congregating and discussing a fellow employee. It's possible that something said at the meeting may change that conclusion, but we obviously weren't there.

but a “you need to report this” kind of line?
Not sure what you might mean by this. To whom do you envision reporting this?

quincy

The only subject I can think of that might have crossed a legal line during the staff meeting is if your employer discussed your PTSD with the other staff members, this if you had disclosed your medical history to your employer with the understanding that it was to remain private.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">