• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Staging Furniture Was Left

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vipervin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just got the keys to my new home today and noticed the selling agent left the staging furniture in the home. We already changed the locks, but are we legally obligated to return the furniture?

We are not a free storage facility and it was the selling agent's responsibility to arrange for the furniture to be removed before the sale. The ball was dropped and that should not be made our problem.

Isis1

I just got the keys to my new home today and noticed the selling agent left the staging furniture in the home. We already changed the locks, but are we legally obligated to return the furniture?

We are not a free storage facility and it was the selling agent's responsibility to arrange for the furniture to be removed before the sale. The ball was dropped and that should not be made our problem.

are you saying this because you want to keep the furniture? or because you want to know if it's legal to toss the furniture on the corner? or to donate it to charity?

Antigone*

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not call the selling agent and say: "Did you know you left some furniture in our new home? When will you come get it because it is really in the way?"

vipervin

If the furniture is now ours, I want to keep some of the items and sell the rest. I am still bitter that the seller changed terms on us during the last few days of closing, costing us over $2k. Karma is a biatch.

Isis1

If the furniture is now ours, I want to keep some of the items and sell the rest. I am still bitter that the seller changed terms on us during the last few days of closing, costing us over $2k. Karma is a biatch.
aw. so don't give karma a reason to haunt you. call them up, let them know they have ___ amount of days to pick up or the stuff gets thrown out. let them come get it.

vipervin

aw. so don't give karma a reason to haunt you. call them up, let them know they have ___ amount of days to pick up or the stuff gets thrown out. let them come get it.
They have already left me a voicemail sounding desperate for the furniture. We will most likely let them have it back, but back to the original question... am I legally obligated to return the items? What stops the sellers from coming back and also asking for the appliances that were left with the house?

CourtClerk

They have already left me a voicemail sounding desperate for the furniture. We will most likely let them have it back, but back to the original question... am I legally obligated to return the items? What stops the sellers from coming back and also asking for the appliances that were left with the house?
If the appliances were part of the sale, they are yours. Oh, and yes, you are legally obligated to return their property.

HomeGuru

**A: yes, you are legally obligated to return the stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">