• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a company on STEM opt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lamas03

Hello.
I am currently under STEM OPT extension in my first year in New York. I want to start a company here in the United States and before I head into it I was just wondering what my options were.
I am aware that under STEM OPT I am not able to do any kind of work other than the one I am allowed under the STEM contract.

But what if I want to start a company? I read that if an alien here in the US was able to create jobs full time job for 5 or more employees that they would get a green card. Would that option help me in any way?
Should I start the company in someone else's name that I trust ? and be like the co-founder or something>?

I really need advise with this. Please help.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
An HB-5 visa is far more demanding than that ..I doubt that is what you seek?
You're missing the point. Lamas is here on an OPT visa. Lamas would like to start a business, but under the OPT restrictions Lamas is restricted to being employed under the STEM contract that Lamas.

The option Lamas refers to is someone who is bringing investment money for a business, and does not at this time apply to Lamas's case at this time.

Lamas should consult with an immigration atty. Because Lamas has a STEM OPT, I suspect it may be possible for Lamas to eventually get a green card based on special skills. However, it is unclear to me whether Lamas would be able to start a business while on the OPT visa. I suspect that it would not be allowed, although perhaps if it were more of a "hobby" (non-profitable) it might be allowed.

Lamas should not take any anonymous advice from an internet forum if Lamas has staying in the US as a long term goal, as violations of visa conditions can result in all sorts of penalties (deportation and a 10 year ban on reentry come to mind).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">