• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting an LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gkb

Located in NJ. I'm interested in starting an LLC under my brand XXXXXX. I want to sell clothing/accessories and also start a food delivery service called(G's kitchen of . XXXXXXXs). Do I need to have 2 separate LLCs?

Just Blue

Located in NJ. I'm interested in starting an LLC under my brand XXXXXXX. I want to sell clothing/accessories and also start a food delivery service called(G's kitchen of XXXXXX). Do I need to have 2 separate LLCs?
It is not necessary to advertise for your business while asking for advice. The Mod will edit and return your post soon.

quincy

Here is a link to pretty much everything you need to know about starting a business in New Jersey:

https://business.nj.gov

You do not need to have two LLCs to operate two businesses. You can have one or more “doing business as” (DBAs) businesses under the umbrella of one LLC.

For example, your LLC could be called ABC and your other businesses could be ABC dba DEF and ABC dba XYZ.

But you also could start two or more LLCs, each with a different name and a different purpose.

You will want to make sure that your business name(s) and the names of any products or services you offer do not conflict with names being used as trademarks by other companies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You are not required to use two different LLCs. Whether it would be a good idea given your particular circumstances, though, is something I suggest you discuss with a local business attorney. There isn't a one size fits all answer to that.

FlyingRon

The other information is goodNote that LLC and Corporation names aren't necessarily brands. There's no protection for LLC/Corporation names other than they have to be unique within the state (unlike person's names). Brands are trademarks (or servicemarks). For example, some of the biggest brands are not the entity name. Subway is a trademark for a restaurant franchise operation that is legally Doctor's Associates.

So while a DBA allows you legally to use a different name than the actual person, LLC, or Corporation doing the business, you may also wish to look into Trademark protection to keep others from marketing things under the same or substantially similar names.

As TM points out, running businesses often require real legal assistance. While creating an LLC (or even corporation) is easy, running one and disposing of it later can be involved.

quincy

The other information is goodNote that LLC and Corporation names aren't necessarily brands. There's no protection for LLC/Corporation names other than they have to be unique within the state (unlike person's names). Brands are trademarks (or servicemarks). For example, some of the biggest brands are not the entity name. Subway is a trademark for a restaurant franchise operation that is legally Doctor's Associates.

So while a DBA allows you legally to use a different name than the actual person, LLC, or Corporation doing the business, you may also wish to look into Trademark protection to keep others from marketing things under the same or substantially similar names.

As TM points out, running businesses often require real legal assistance. While creating an LLC (or even corporation) is easy, running one and disposing of it later can be involved.
The link provided earlier offers direction on how to find the best professional for your needs and where to locate these professionals.

It often helps to have a mentor - someone who has already established a successful business and is willing and eager to help you establish yours.

Located in NJ. I'm interested in starting an LLC under my brand XXXXXX. I want to sell clothing/accessories and also start a food delivery service called(G's kitchen of . XXXXXXXs). Do I need to have 2 separate LLCs?
No. But you will have to make sure you open your LLC properly and make sure you create an operating agreement that protects YOUR investment.

quincy

BTW, how can I post a photo where my B is
When you contribute here for a long enough time and become a “senior member” of the forum, you will be given the opportunity to add your own avatar. Until then, you remain a brownish-yellow square. :)

As a note, if you are planning to post here as an attorney, you will need to have your legal credentials verified by the administrators of FreeAdvice. There is a “contact us” link at the bottom of this (and every) page.

Edit to add: I love the HL Mencken quote.

Last edited:
M

MosheStrugano

Having multiple LLCs is not illegal; there is no restriction to the number of LLCs one individual can register, however, taxes for each LLC remain individual instead of one larger aggregate whole.

quincy

Having multiple LLCs is not illegal; there is no restriction to the number of LLCs one individual can register, however, taxes for each LLC remain individual instead of one larger aggregate whole.
This thread is from September.
Please look at posting dates before adding comments. Older threads should remain in the archives for reference purposes only. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">