• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State agency revealed our identity on anonymous tips...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dealingwiththen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Nearly a year ago, we sent info and photos to a state agency regarding our neighbors illegal activity. THE guy was on probation at the time and has 2 pages of felonies. So...nothing was done...nothing was done...we sent in more info and photos as requested. I also requested help from our local political office...as again...it has been nearly a year dealing with this agency and their lack of dling their job. WEll, we just found out yesterday that this agency mailed our photos to the neighbor. THESE photos were taken from our vantage point and from our property. It's not that hard to figure who sent them. AGain, this guy is a dangerous felon.
WE are at a loss. Not only did this agency not do their job, but now our family us in jeopardy - in my opinion. We are looking into surveillance and personal protection. But are wondering if we can sue them for revealing our identity on an anonymous tip (s). As I want to move away now!!! We have small children! THANK you for any help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'll ask you the same question I asked you on the other site. (You haven't had time to see it yet; I only asked it three minutes ago.) What ACTUAL DAMAGES have you suffered so far? Not, what are you afraid might happen in the future, but what has actually happened as of today?

PayrollHRGuy

What made you believe that the information would be anonymous? I'm not saying it wasn't supposed to be but why did you think it would be? There may be a law in VA that makes it anonymous but without knowing the agency you reported to and the method we can't check for that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Furthermore, if the guy was charged with anything, he was required to be given copies of any evidence they had against him. Including photographs. So...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They didn't actually reveal your identity...they only supplied the photographs. I understand that, to you, it is the same thing, but it's not.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Nearly a year ago, we sent info and photos to a state agency regarding our neighbors illegal activity. THE guy was on probation at the time and has 2 pages of felonies. So...nothing was done...nothing was done...we sent in more info and photos as requested. I also requested help from our local political office...as again...it has been nearly a year dealing with this agency and their lack of dling their job. WEll, we just found out yesterday that this agency mailed our photos to the neighbor. THESE photos were taken from our vantage point and from our property. It's not that hard to figure who sent them. AGain, this guy is a dangerous felon.
WE are at a loss. Not only did this agency not do their job, but now our family us in jeopardy - in my opinion. We are looking into surveillance and personal protection. But are wondering if we can sue them for revealing our identity on an anonymous tip (s). As I want to move away now!!! We have small children! THANK you for any help.
The neighbor has the right to address any complaints about him, including offering his explanation for his activities as pictured in the photos.

Anonymity is only as anonymous as a person makes it. To have better preserved your anonymity, you would have been smart to take photos from a different vantage point.

What exactly does your situation have to do with environmental and toxic torts?

quincy

What is your "local political agency"?
Dealingwiththen might have meant "government" agency rather than "political" agency?

Because of the placement of the thread in the Environmental & Toxic Torts section of the forum, it is also possible that the government agency involved is the DEQ.

But it would be nice if Dealingwiththen would return to clarify. :)

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
For all the neighbor knows, the agency in question could have taken the pics from her (OP's) property.

quincy

For all the neighbor knows, the agency in question could have taken the pics from her (OP's) property.
Good point.

I think it might be a bit naive of Dealingwiththen to think the neighbor didn't know it was him reporting the violation(s) anyway, photos or no photos.

Dealingwiththen

I'll ask you the same question I asked you on the other site. (You haven't had time to see it yet; I only asked it three minutes ago.) What ACTUAL DAMAGES have you suffered so far? Not, what are you afraid might happen in the future, but what has actually happened as of today?
The guy/ owners/ LLC hasn't received the letter yet.

It is the DEQ.

They have their OWN PHOTOS BUT THEY HAVEN'T BEEN back since Nov 3. The DEQ told us the neighbor would need to provide receipts of disposal or enforcement action would be taken. (The deadline was Jan 8.) BUt, they are merely sending another warning letter and did not bother to come back out and have a look and take their photos-again. THE new letter gives them 120 days....all summer...then what a new warning letter. What a joke. AND to put us in danger ...

A few of the photos were taken from my bedroom window (and stated as such!!! )BUNCH of idiots! A sorry would have been nice.

I haven't been sleeping, had a migraine (my Imitrex is a $100 a pill)....have been scared for my kids...spending time looking at other areas and homes we could move....bookmarking protection order info....looking at surveillance systems and thinking about purchasing a gun. Just don't know what to do. I contacted political.offices to try and seek help and get this agent fired for being so stupid....and the agency being lazy at their hob. IT'S nearly a year dealing with them....and way past the "deadline."

The DEQ was well aware we wish to remain anonymous as to the felonies (they guy was on 5 years probation when he was dumping. I sent the DEQ photos of him actively dumping...and i gave video- again a year ago They didnt send the owners those photos - again taken from my bedroom window- and it is stated where the photos were taken when I emailed them) The other person who owns the land also has felonies and is a registered sex offender.

The photos this time were asked for by the supervisor so they could be given to a new agent, as the one who had been "working" the case has health issues. I was not told send us photos because we are too lazy to get our own and will be mailing them to the owner (s). DUh- the owners know what their dump looks like.

THE DEQ letter states an anonymous source told us this or that and sent us these photos. I might as well knocked on their door.

Also- the land is owned by a LLC. IT IS A COMPANY. The pair gained this land thru a family death. They own a trailer park and the items are from the 50 plus trailers. Appliances, tires, water heaters, construction debris, or junk that people leave when they go out or ate evicted/move out. It is visible by satellite. THE land is a flood plain and also serves as pasture for 50 goats cattle, horses and a donkey. LAST year a horse died and they left it - which is why I went to the DEQ- THE STENCH lasted all summer ....about 70 feet from my property with no trying to bury it...and other livestock around. We could not go outside all summer....not even in the front yard or the furthest place away from the animal. It was horrible. WE couldn't have our windows open, work on our cars enjoy our hot tub/ pool.

Hths.

Thanks all appreciate it.

Dealingwiththen

Furthermore, if the guy was charged with anything, he was required to be given copies of any evidence they had against him. Including photographs. So...
it's just another warning letter. They had a Jan 8 deadline already. THEY keep adding more. THE DEQ was out Nov 3 and took their own photos (this is nearly a year since we reported the issue.) The new letter gives them 110 days....

The photos were taken ...some...from my bedroom window and stated such. THE photos were asked for to supply to a new agent as the other one apparently is in bad health??? The emails/photos were sent detailing the location they were taken from and also stated the felony info.

The owners know what their dump looks like- it's visible from the road and satellite images. THE use of our photos was definitely not pertinent.

See other info I posted.

Dealingwiththen

y

They do gave their own photos but haven't been out since Nov 3. BUT could have easily come out and can see the dump from the road. IT'S about 50 appliances...flat bed, too much to mention. NOT sure how to add a satellite image here.

Dealingwiththen

nope...warning...warning...warning.

It was to be cleaned up by Jan 8...but they are adding to it instead. SO much for receipt and enfircement.

The new warning gives them 110 days.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you have suffered no damages as of today, you cannot sue as of today. You do not get to sue for something that has not happened yet and may never happen.

If at some point in future you have some actual damages that you can directly tie to the fact that the neighbors were given the photos, come back and see us then and we'll see if there's anything you can do. As you were told on the other site, we haven't yet established that the DEQ has a duty to keep your identity protected. But even if they do, no damages, no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">