• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State claims I didn't file a return 7 years ago - How to prove I did?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandy Don

How much in fees and/or penalties are they asking you to pay--what is the total amount including taxes--that they are asking you to pay?

Have they named a specific tax form that they want you to submit and is it a Rhode Island Tax Form for whatever year is applicable?

Do you remember whether you would have paid taxes to Rhode Island for the relevant year or did you receive a refund for that year?

Have you asked your bank if they could provide you with microfilm copies of your cancelled checks and bank statements for any particular month in the past that you were interested in?

You may wish to discuss this matter with a local income tax accountant to see what ideas/suggestions he/she may offer.

I have requested my statements from all of 2012 but have not received them yet. I no longer use that bank and haven't for many years.

The tax they claim I owe is 286.00 roughly and after all their fees, penalties and interest is just over 1,000.00 now. They demand full payment. I don't make a lot of money that is almost 2 full weeks of pay for me and I live paycheck to paycheck. That would mean I would either have to go behind on my rent, not pay all my other bills for the month and also try to explain to my young son why Santa isn't coming this year for him. I have 1 car down in need of 400.00 of repairs already. So I have no idea what I am going to do.

I would probably not owe anything or be due a small refund. It was during the Obama supplements to unemployment during the 99 weeks period. The total I collected that year was just north of 29K and I was in school for a portion of it.

LdiJ

So what you are basically saying is the state could have lost my return and I have to pay a ridiculous amount of fees and penalties and have no recourse?
No, what it means is that you need to file another state return ASAP. I will tell you however, that if someone's only income was unemployment compensation its highly possible that they did NOT file a state return. Its free to file a federal return in that circumstance on most online software, but it costs money to file the state return. Many people opt to only file the federal return and think to themselves that they will file state in some other manner, and then just forget to file state at all.

No, what it means is that you need to file another state return ASAP. I will tell you however, that if someone's only income was unemployment compensation its highly possible that they did NOT file a state return. Its free to file a federal return in that circumstance on most online software, but it costs money to file the state return. Many people opt to only file the federal return and think to themselves that they will file state in some other manner, and then just forget to file state at all.
I file my taxes through Turbo Tax Online every year since I can remember, I know it costs 29.95 before I even begin, which is why I am waiting on my statements from the bank to show I paid for the service that year. Also, how can I find a tax form from the year it is due for as well as all the details of what tax breaks were available that year?

LdiJ

I file my taxes through Turbo Tax Online every year since I can remember, I know it costs 29.95 before I even begin, which is why I am waiting on my statements from the bank to show I paid for the service that year. Also, how can I find a tax form from the year it is due for as well as all the details of what tax breaks were available that year?
Odds are that your state tax website will provide downloadable forms and instructions for the year that you need. A local tax professional can also assist you. I did that for someone in my state, for 2013, just today. The situation was basically the same as yours.

Well even if I do, do that the document specifically states nothing I do can be done about interest or penalties. Since there is absolutely nothing I can use as acceptable proof I filed with RI, I basically get to decide between eating and rent.

LdiJ

Well even if I do, do that the document specifically states nothing I do can be done about interest or penalties. Since there is absolutely nothing I can use as acceptable proof I filed with RI, I basically get to decide between eating and rent.
Get the return prepared for filing. You might not actually owe any tax. If you don't owe any tax, there won't be any interest or penalties.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Please digest what LdiJ is telling you: do the paperwork.

Dandy Don

Look at the website for the State of Rhode Island Division of Taxation to get a phone number or email address to contact them to ask for a tax form for 2011.

Is it possible that you could borrow the money to pay this from a parent or relative or friend?

Do not let their request overly worry you to the point that you do not take care of your more important family obligations and bills.

Does the document you receive mention anything about an appeals process?

If you can't afford to pay that debt at this time, you will just have to explain that and then see what the consequences are.

If I were you I would also contact a state senator or congressman to see if there is anything they could do to assist your situation.

LdiJ

Again, until he gets the actual return prepared so that he sees what, if anything he really owes, its pointless to do anything else. Any tax professional will have the software available for that year, but if he wants to do the return by hand, he can get the forms here:

http://www.tax.ri.gov/taxforms/

I can guarantee that he doesn't actually owe what they say he owes. It's highly unlikely that they took his withholding into consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">